Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,323   Online: 937

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Idea for a Pinned Thread - Film Availability

Howdy,

I had an idea that I would like to run past everyone.

Would it be a good idea to have a couple of Pinned threads which actually list film and analogue products that are currently available and in which markets? For example, the thread is started by a mod, with people giving there two cents worth. The first post is then regularly updated to show ONLY films that are commercially available. This way, we can use the collective investigating powers to determine where we can get our favourite films or alternatives.

Thoughts?

Shooter
    35mm
    as a frequent traveller I wholeheartedly agree but may I also throw in 2 cents and suggest processing labs & camera repairs too. I cannot remember how many threads I've started asking for help in various languages & countries!!! cheers! sam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I want to know what's available, all I have to do is go to the B&H and Freestyle websites. Between the two they don't miss much.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    If I want to know what's available, all I have to do is go to the B&H and Freestyle websites. Between the two they don't miss much.
    If I need film I can either wait & buy on trips back to the UK (70% of my film purchases), buy on the internet from abroad and risk the parcel going missing (50% chance based on experience) or buy locally, a limited range and an hours drive.

Availability is a huge issue outside Europe & North America. I'd been a Tmax user since it's release but getting anything other than Kodak consumer colour neg films is near impossible here, I found the same on a long trip to South America 3 years ago.

When you can get a good variety of films it's always Ilford B&W, a bit of Fuji B&W but plenty of Fuji colour film, and then surprisingly Foma.

As a consequence I've switched back to Ilford films after a break of over 20 years, I buy Foma as a back up if needed, that's worked well for 3 yeras now, I'm very happy with the resulting image quality and I've no plans to use a Kodak film again.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plus Samys Camera in Los Angeles.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And Midwest Photo. They still have fresh K-64! If you want to pay $20 for 36 exp.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There have been talks off-forum long before on making and updating(!) a list of all films and papers available by one or two experts on that field. It was cancelled as the burdon on keeping it reliably(!) updated was considered great.

I doubt that a free-entry thread would be more reliable and not just confusing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    OK, it was just a thought.

Cheers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is pretty true but not totally correct. Kodak for example has several films that are only marketed outside of the USA. So you will not find them at these web sites.

From what I understand (keep in mind I may be mistaken) these emulsions are older cheaper to produce products OR they have a different color balance. In the USA color negative film is balanced to produce Caucasian skin tones well. In India Kodak sells film balanced to produce darker skin colors better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Likewise Ilford make films they don't sell in the UK market, and as I posted in another thread last week Ilford Diapositive film (E6 made in Italy) was available in Istanbul, yet it's not in their uncatalogue or on their website.

Some Fuji products aren't available in every country, notably B&W papers (possibly by agreement as they are probably outsourced).

It's more important to have a list of film suppliers & types & sizes available outside the main North American & European markets so people travelling can source film while away.

I spent two days trying to get Tmax films in Santiago, Chile, a large capital city, in the end I bought Ilford, I looked again in Lima, Peru, I doubt there was any LF film at all. I did ask Simon Galley if Ilford could put something on the Ilford website, but the issue is getting information from local importers/distributors.

It would be great to just go online Ilford, Kodak & Fuji and look up your nearest stockist and what they sold, 35mm 120 and LF by category and then exact film type.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin