Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,840   Online: 1005

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    And your point is? An American that hates American companies?
    Because I do not do business with a company that does not particularly care about it’s end customer, only the currant marketing trend does not make me ‘an American who hates American companies’. I shop were I am valued as a customer. If one store stops carrying a product I use, I will go down the street and shop at the store that does. And I will reward the second store with ALL of my future purchases. If the second store drops the ball I will move on again. The fact that there is only one American film manufacturing company is out of my hands. As is the fact that they never seem to know in which direction they are going.

Fotch, I do not mind that you and I may not see eye to eye on this issue. What I do mind is being painted with such a broad stroke. Although I am not to fond of the current government, I am proud of this country. There is no other place on this earth that I can exercise the freedoms that I now do. And that includes the freedom to do business with people that care about my needs and not just the bottom line.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    So, Mike, let's forget about the current marketing trends, American companies, patriotism, shopping habits etc... Just tell us which company has the biggest colour negative film range. And please keep in mind that it's a shrinking market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    So "good news"?
    Wait and see, i'd say.
    I think the good news here is the line coming from the spokesperson, there could have just as easily been an article stating that 'digital is the future' or something along those lines. Now I realize this is just a person in the marketing end of things but they know more than anyone else in the business which ways the company is leaning and where the optimism can be found. I'd say yes it's very good news - people read this stuff and it might just be the thing to make another group of curious folk look into film equipment.

p.s. - looks like another round of discussions turned 'American'. Are we here because we like film or because we like the U.S. and want to support their workforce? Frankly speaking (as a Canadian ex-pat) I love my home country but that's not what this forum is about to me - when I want to support domestic issues I find other avenues than wearing the flag when I talk about photography. It just seems like a lot of good, important discussions are wasted here - personally I scroll through them until I find something relevant to photography.
    Last edited by jamesgignac; 10-01-2010 at 04:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgignac View Post
    I think the good news here is the line coming from the spokesperson, there could have just as easily been an article stating that 'digital is the future' or something along those lines. Now I realize this is just a person in the marketing end of things but they know more than anyone else in the business which ways the company is leaning and where the optimism can be found. I'd say yes it's very good news - people read this stuff and it might just be the thing to make another group of curious folk look into film equipment.
    I'm skeptical.
    Talk is cheap. Saying one thing and doing the opposite isn't exactly new nor rare. They now talk about a resurgence, while taking a film off the market. Fighting talk to save face while on retreat.
    Whether that is good news?

If there is a resurgence, would it be necessary to reduce the available choice in films?

But wait and see, i tell myself.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stillsilver View Post
    There is no other place on this earth that I can exercise the freedoms that I now do.
    I think there are plenty of other places where these freedoms may be exercised.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jeremy Clarkson, presenter of BBC motoring program "Top Gear", once greeted a member from the audience, who mentioned she came from the U.S., with the words "Welcome to the free world!".
    That was not just a bit of Clarkson flippancy.

Off topic, i know.
    But not quite as much as this Americaness nonsense.
    After all, the question discussed here is about how much of the resurgence speech is just talk, in spite of a different reality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mr. Ymous, 99% of the film I shoot is black and white. The other 1% is consumer color neg. film for family snapshots. Without going to the companies websites or checking Freestyle or B&H I will have to defer that answer to you.

Steve, I can hunt and fish in a lot of places. I can own firearms. I can vote for my favorite liar (er, politician). If I choose to I could stand-up and speak out against my government without fear of retribution. Believe me, this country is not without flaws but I wouldn’t choose to live anywhere else.

Back to my original point. Ilford stayed with black and white film. They went bankrupt (which scared the hell out of me) and Harmon technology stepped in bought the company and stated we are dedicated to continued black and white photographers. I will support that company as long as possible.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    I'm skeptical.
    Talk is cheap. Saying one thing and doing the opposite isn't exactly new nor rare.
    I agree that talk can be cheap. But it seems we complain about Kodak's "talk" too, at least when they are saying something we don't like.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    So lets step back and look at this, Kodak is making five pro color negative films, four consumer color negative films (if you count 400 HD), two silver black and white films, and the BW400CN, then they have three slide films. By my count Kodak is turning out fifteen different films that are readily available for people to buy locally or via mail order, there are others but they are hard to find.
    By my count, Kodak is making six silver black and white films that are readily available at least by mail order:
    Plus-X, Tri-X 400, T-Max 100, T-Max 400, T-Max P3200 and (in sheets) Tri-X Pan (320).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stillsilver View Post
    Steve, I can hunt and fish in a lot of places. I can own firearms. I can vote for my favorite liar (er, politician). If I choose to I could stand-up and speak out against my government without fear of retribution. Believe me, this country is not without flaws but I wouldn’t choose to live anywhere else.
    Well, we can do all of those things too. Firearms are restricted severely compared to the US but I prefer it that way. We too can vote for liars, speak out against governments and go fishing - as can the residents of most countries.

Like you, I also wouldn't choose to live anywhere than where I am (UK) but I think we are biased in our thinking as we already live in the countries we want to. If we came to Earth from another planet looking for a country to live in we would probably do a bit of research and weigh up the pros and cons of all options.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin