Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,869   Online: 877

Page 1 of 22 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Some Good News.... Kodak sees resurgence of film

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...#ixzz10y40QMzv

It almost feels that there is a very real resurgence for film. A lot of people that were completely digital are now accepting film again for certain things – or they do like the workflow. And the most exciting thing is to see the younger people adopt film. It’s almost a generational thing. They have not shot film growing up, but once they do get a hold of film in a university, they just seem to fall in love with it. And that’s exciting. It just seems to have a lot of influence.

Scott DiSabato, US marketing manager for Professional film at Kodak.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well that's what I was told by a couple of photo-stores last November while I was in the UK, so it's good to here Kodak confirming it. This upturn was predicted back around 2006 but the financial crisis had a negative effect.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's great to hear, I hope it continues.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Four months from now Kodak will announce that it is completely halting all film production. In another four months they will say film will be around forever. I have shot a lot of Kodak in my lifetime but none in the last 15 years. It has been Agfa, Fuji, or Ilford.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I expect Kodak may be putting a bit more of a positive spin to it than there is in reality but even if we translate their resurgence into stabilisation, that is a good sign.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If they fire the anti-film jerks in the company I'd breathe a little easier.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve,

Do you take a view on gaps in the Kodak still photography film product range?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    If they fire the anti-film jerks in the company I'd breathe a little easier.
    I may even by a brick of tri-x.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Resurgence or no resurgence, taking perfectly fine products off the market, possibly to replace them with a 'please all' variant would not sound like good news.
    Good news it can be, if the new film they give us instead of the two we can use now is indeed as good as at least one of them. And then, for those of us who liked the other one better it's bad news.

And even if the new film would be one we like, it still means there is less choice. No opportunity to select either one of the now discontinued variants to suit a scene or purpose. We have to use that single new one instead.

This could well be a sign that the film market is in fact no longer capable of sustaining two similar but different products.
    The talk about a resurgence could well be no more than an attempt to give a positive spin to what really is bad news about a situation that already wasn't so good.

So "good news"?
    Wait and see, i'd say.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What about the two sentences before that?

Luckily the colour negative film sales have been very stable over the past year. Black-and-white is also doing extremely well.
    Those who know, shoot film

Page 1 of 22 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin