Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,056   Online: 798

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Ugh. By the end of this year, I don't think any of the materials I was using in January will still be for sale. Time to get experimenting with Delta 3200, then.
    Steve,

..or shoot Tri-X @3200..stand develop in Rodinal or standard in DDX.

This is Tri-X @ 6400 actually, stand developed in Rodinal 1:100 for two hours. There is nothing that Tri-X can't do.

image link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leicaman/5034487285/

Shooter
    35mm
    Maximus - thanks for the idea, probably worth a try and your shot looks good. I actually shot a roll of Tri-X at 400 for the 1st time in ages recently and looking at the prints I noticed how similar the grain looked to Neo1600. For what it's worth, it's the grain rather than the speed I'm most interested in. Sadly, the film world does seem to be moving toward fine grain, I suppose that's where the big sales are.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Maximus - thanks for the idea, probably worth a try and your shot looks good. I actually shot a roll of Tri-X at 400 for the 1st time in ages recently and looking at the prints I noticed how similar the grain looked to Neo1600. For what it's worth, it's the grain rather than the speed I'm most interested in. Sadly, the film world does seem to be moving toward fine grain, I suppose that's where the big sales are.
    Hey Steve,

I love Neo1600 and 400 but Tri-X is my staple. I love grain and Tri-X + Rodinal gives me all I need 99% of the times. Yes, sad about the "no grain" way of things. I don't get it but hey, to each his own as always.

Max

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Robert,

ILFORD Photo / HARMAN will not have a 'problem' with DELTA 3200 or PAN F Plus : We will continue to coat all the films, in all the formats that we currently make. We are totally committed to having and maintaining the widest range of monochrome photo products, Film / Paper / Accessories and Chemistry
    from any manufacturer.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Meanwhile you have the choice out of more modern high-resolution films including corresponding developers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A comment about film availability world wide, I've seen Ilford B&W film in every single shop that sells B&W film (and often paper as well) that I've visited, usually there's a little Fuji too, surprisingly now often Foma as well but hardly ever Kodak (outside Europe & North America). That's in parts of Europe, Asia and South America.

Fuji have never had a particularly large stake in the B&W market in the areas I've lived in or visited, in fact they didn't import B&W films into the UK for quite a time, it was no secret that some were being made for them by another manufacturer at one point (the 1600 & chromogenic films).

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    as regards black and white film I don,t see too much of a problem, at least in Europe, Ilford is everywhere,which I am happy about, and Foma seems to be growing its market share,Most analogue photographers I know working in black and white use Ilford, Fuji was always big in colour, but never did that much in Black/white, even the C41 film they had was,I believe, rebadged ilford,Richard

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R gould View Post
    as regards black and white film I don,t see too much of a problem, at least in Europe, Ilford is everywhere,which I am happy about, and Foma seems to be growing its market share,Most analogue photographers I know working in black and white use Ilford, Fuji was always big in colour, but never did that much in Black/white, even the C41 film they had was,I believe, rebadged ilford,Richard
    Neopan 100, 400, and 1600 have always been reasonably used. You might not use them but others definitely do. They have been and still are producing beautiful black and white emulsions. Try them sometime.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also, to the people recommending pushing tri-x: while a nice look it it's own right you definitely won't have the shadow detail of 1600PR.

And 6400iso only works with strong highlights. It's not really even close to 6400 speed - it's curve shifting.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unfortunately Fuji don't produce that full range, Neopan 400 was discontinued in 120.

Ian

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin