Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,425   Online: 805

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Still easily available in this other secret format: 135.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Also, to the people recommending pushing tri-x: while a nice look it it's own right you definitely won't have the shadow detail of 1600PR.

And 6400iso only works with strong highlights. It's not really even close to 6400 speed - it's curve shifting.
    Hmmm..not sure about that. 1600PR is at best ISO800 and it pushes ok to 1600. I bet that if we do a same scene comparison with Tri-X pushed two stops or 1600PR pushed one, (essentially both @1600) shadow detail differences would be negligible and I would likely give the edge to Tri-X. Different tonalities of course. Nothing is close to 6400 speed so it's just a matter of how far one can push and whether the results are worth it and or satisfactory. In that regard, there aren't many choices outside of stand developed Tri-X, in my opinion of course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Neopan 100, 400, and 1600 have always been reasonably used. You might not use them but others definitely do. They have been and still are producing beautiful black and white emulsions. Try them sometime.
    I am a regular user of Quickload Acros (Neopan 100) which is an excellent film with a wide latitude both for shadow & highlights, though I shall now be forced to use their 5x4 sheet film. The only other b&w film I really like is Delta 100 which I now use instead of FP4.
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We know we are living on a knife edge. We will chase film from whoever can deliver. Choices may fall, but for me, still there is enough options.

Chris

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now be forced? I thought QLs were toast a while ago.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neopan 100, 400, and 1600 have always been reasonably used. You might not use them but others definitely do. They have been and still are producing beautiful black and white emulsions. Try them sometime.
    I use 120 and at the moment I have a choice of one Fuji made mono emulsion–Across.
    Their chromagenic film is made by Ilford.
    Don't get me wrong I love Neopan 400 I have about 20 rolls or so to use up, the 1600 was never produced in 120 so I have a choice of one – Ilford Delta 3200.

At the moment I'm trying to rationalise my 400 film choice at the moment it's either Tri-x or HP5 although TMax is nice for some types of job.
    I'll be looking forward to testing the new Adox APX 400.
    I love film and will use it while it's produced, obviously trying to settle on an emulsion or two is hard but its always been that way-things change, and as long as I have 100 and 400 speed film from someone I'll be happy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I would say that 80% of my work is in 120,and I prefer 400 film, so it is difficult to try it, and as I would need to get any Fuji by mail order, getting a couple of films is a problem, neither of the two suppliers locally sell any neopan, only ilford or kodak,I have in the past used Fuji, it is a nice film, I liked it,but it is simply easier to get ilford/kodak, and Fuji was never that big in Black and white, just the 3 films,nice as they may be,it has always seemed that their core was in colour, look at the range of colour films they once had,and to some extent still do,Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AbbeyFoto View Post
    We know we are living on a knife edge. We will chase film from whoever can deliver. Choices may fall, but for me, still there is enough options.

Chris
    I only have 60 sheets of QL Acros left in my freezer.

I have 450 sheets of QL Velvia in the freezer!
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought a medium format camera so I could continue shooting Reala.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No more Neopan 1600 here the local (Ontario, Canada) rep says and no 1600 Press either, perhaps still 1600 Superia?

On the Neopan I guess its partly my own fault, been shooting mostly Ilford this year for B&W...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin