Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,841   Online: 881

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Jobo as an investment

It seems like everything Jobo related is getting either hard to find or expensive past reason. I noticed on ebay that a new 10 pack of Jobo sheet film drying clips went for $70 including shipping. That is $7 a clip!!! Processors, drums and accessories all keep creeping up in cost. How did Jobo go bankrupt? Why did I invest in the stock market when I could have just loaded up on Jobo products and Nikon Scanners?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slumry View Post
    It seems like everything Jobo related is getting either hard to find or expensive past reason. I noticed on ebay that a new 10 pack of Jobo sheet film drying clips went for $70 including shipping. That is $7 a clip!!! Processors, drums and accessories all keep creeping up in cost. How did Jobo go bankrupt? Why did I invest in the stock market when I could have just loaded up on Jobo products and Nikon Scanners?
    Two words: supply and demand. When they were produced, there weren't enough people that wanted them and, now that supply is finite, demand is taking care of things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is actually a very interesting topic and I know of at least two people paying very close attention to this situation.

Both of whom have historically been involved in design and production in this area decades ago.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    With all the economic woes, I keep waiting for someone to fabricate a functional equivalent to Jobo drums and processors. Maybe it is not so easy and those 3010 drums really are $500 worth of plastic.
    Jerold Harter MD

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    ..., now that supply is finite, demand is taking care of things.
    Well, at least the systems 1500, 2500 and 3000 are still offered (and stated as part of their portfolio) by
    new Jobo.
    Last edited by AgX; 10-06-2010 at 03:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They really are $500 worth of plastic once you process color film 10 sheets at a time for a while, instead of paying a lab to do it.

However, I got mine used for $200 in perfect shape, local sale on E-Bay. I got my money's worth within two weeks, between myself and my friends to whom I loaned it.

The 12-sheet Nikkor tanks might be an even better value, though I have never seen the quality of the negs processed this way. The Jobo Expert negs are always excellent, however.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Well, at least the systems 1500, 2500 and 3000 are still offered (and stated as part of their portfolio) by
    new Jobo.
    AgX,

Do you have any up-to-date information on the current status of analogue Jobo production?

Tom

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tom,

Within the last weeks Jobo revised their website and the ATL1500 and the CPP2 are missing now, but those tanks are still listed.
    Furthermore there is a very recent press release of them hinting at the restructuring and the new company. They state that the image of their company is dominated by digital products, but explictly state that they carry an analogue core-assortment, and even list their german dealers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Tom,

Within the last weeks Jobo revised their website and the ATL1500 and the CPP2 are missing now, but those tanks are still listed.
    Furthermore there is a very recent press release of them hinting at the restructuring and the new company. They state that the image of their company is dominated by digital products, but explictly state that they carry an analogue core-assortment, and even list their german dealers.
    This sounds like an interesting development. Some current Jobo machines (mine included) are becoming rather well used so I'll be interested to follow what Jobo decides to do in relation to processor manufacture.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Investing in Jobo parts may be a good investment. Investing in Jobo stock would not be a good investment.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin