Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,436   Online: 815

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    This is a real shame. I don't think there's any other film that gives the same look as this film at 1600 (that film noir look - not to everyone's taste, but I love it), and it was one of the reasons I chose to use 35mm. I just checked freestyle, and they're not listing it either. It has such a wonderful character, and I had settled on this and acros for all my b&w after testing the different films available. It must be really annoying for people who have been using it for years. I'm now thinking whether to still use acros, since from when I was using colour I had always settled on a particular film for a particular situation, and learnt it's characteristics well. There's no point if it's going to be discontinued, and this is really making me question why I should shoot fuji at all (for colour I shoot provia 400x and 400h, so until now I had used Fuji for everything, except tri-x for 16mm which actually looks quite similar to neopan 1600), especially given the way their films are just pulled overnight without warning. I guess I always just liked the unique way fuji films render scenes. Seems crazy/depressing to me that they're now introducing instax plastic lens cameras with new low quality iso 800 film while discontinuing all their high quality stuff.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have 100s of rolls but if it is true then it is a serous bummer. 1600PR is top-notch and very fine grain for it's speed.

The thing with fujifilm is that you can never be 100% sure what they're doing. Very Japanese approach.

If it keeps up the market will be reduced to just general iso 400 films. Very sad.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I started using it for a project a few years ago, and will need to resume next year. Looks like I'd better grab some when I can. It's bad enough they discontinues Neopan 400 in 120, now this too.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is still some around if you look- but not for much longer. Neopan Presto 1600 in Japan may still be in production, I'm waiting to hear from someone who can find out for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Presto is/was the Neopan 400, Super Presto is/was the 1600.

I'm getting some while there is still some stock though it still bugs me, get something you know and like and they take it away and you have to replace it with something else. Might have to use the last rolls to compare it to pushing some 400 and '3200' (really 1000) films to 1600 to see if I can get similar results. Anyone already know what is closest to Neopan 'Super Presto' 1600?

Edit: Delta 3200 shot at 1600 maybe? I shall try some of that since I seem to be shooting most Ilford for 400 these days anyhow.
    Last edited by hpulley; 10-19-2010 at 11:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    B&H says things are discontinued all the time that really aren't. Don't read too much into that. On the other hand, over on range finder forum, a couple people have heard back from Fuji USA that it is discontinued. The official word isn't in from Fuji Japan yet.

RE: a replacement, I think either Ilford 3200 or T-Max 3200 shot at 1600 would be a pretty poor replacement for Neopan 1600. I'd think that you'd get way too much in the shadows compared to Neopan 1600. And much larger grain. I'd suggest either Tri-X or HP5+ pushed to 1600 as a potential close match...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for your thoughts. It seems I will need to load a few bodies up and do a bake off.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I take back all the negative comments I have said about Kodak.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What I've figured out is that film is like the distant wilderness areas, I may never visit them all but I would like to know that they still exist and will continue to exist.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    I take back all the negative comments I have said about Kodak.....
    Not just their fault, takes two but while at my local store today they had lots of Ilford B&W but no Kodak, only color Kodak... So I bought a bunch of Ilford and no Kodak, their loss as with the fall leaves pretty much done up here I'm not planning much color work at the moment.

Honestly Ilford seems to be the only one really carrying the torch at the moment. I'll see if my Neopan 1600 comes in this of the week, if it does I'll compare it to some pushed Ilford Delta and HP5 400 and 'pulled' Delta 3200, do a 4 body 1600 bake off to see if I can somehow pick a winner by doing some sort of consistent processing and printing... wish me luck.

Happiness is...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin