Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,243   Online: 920

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    Are you talking about the E-4 compatible Fujichrome, or the non-integrated coupler Fujichrome? I've never used either, but I think you'll have a hard time finding people that remember the non-integrated coupler one, as (IIRC) it was only sold where there were Fuji labs nearby (mostly Japan), and it was discontinued in thee 1960s.
    Yes I was talking about the non-integrated coupler Fujichrome -- like Kodachrome. I didn't know it was discontinued that long ago. I thought it was discontinued in the 1980s. Did it use the K-12 developing process, or did they have their own Fuji process?
    Mr. Terry Mester

www.zeuter.com/~tlmester

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's not much about it in the books I have but I know that when I began using Fuji films around the early 1970's the Fujichrome was E3/4 compatible. I guess I can look at some adverts and new product in BJP Almanacs from the 50's & 60's to get the exact date of the switch. It's going to be after Kodak's switch from E2 to E3.

Fuji's original process was launched in 1948 the same year as Ilford Color D (reversal), both used their own unique processes which were based on similar principles to Kodachrome.

The switch from the early product to a compatible process took place at a time when companies were being investigated by Governments for "Monopolising" the process. I have part of a 1960's UK Government report somewhere that looked at Ilford's monopoly over Ilford Colour processing, and Kodak came under similar scrutiny in the US over Kodachrome, the outcome in both countries was rulings against the manufacturers. A major problem was the processes for Kodachrome, and Ilford & Fuji's films were to complex for small scale laboratories and needed considerable investment.

Only the US market had sufficient volumes to warrant private labs investing in the Kodachrome process, to compete against Kodak's own facilities. Ilford ceased manufacture of Colour films and as we know Fuji switched to making films compatible with Kodak's other colour processes.

Put in that light if Fuji wanted to expand it's export market it too would have to sell a film that no longer used a unique complex process.

Ian

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
    I'm interested to hear from anyone who used Fujifilm's former Fujichrome films -- which was Fuji's equivalent to Kodachrome.

The actual Kodachrome equivalents made by Fuji were called Fujicolor.
    They were made from `48 untill `63.

A lot of manufacturers aside of Kodak made non-substantial colour films.
    The last of those productions ended 1977.
    Last edited by AgX; 11-11-2010 at 04:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all this great info! Do you know if Fujicolor used the Godowsky / Mannes Kodachrome process -- i. e. Red, Blue & then Green Layer development?
    Mr. Terry Mester

www.zeuter.com/~tlmester

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Kidwell
    ... Honestly, I just wish I could have good R printing from any of these great films whether it be ciba or fuji super. Makes me pretty freaking sad.
    Casey, Harman told me a while back that Elevator Photography in Toronto, Ontario, Canada is a great Ilfochrome lab. Here is their address and phone number:
    Elevator Photography, 105 Vanderhoof Ave, East York, ON;
    PHONE: 1-416-406-3131

You can check the ILFORD Imaging Switzerland Website to find a lab list.
    Mr. Terry Mester

www.zeuter.com/~tlmester

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin