Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,547   Online: 1107

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

The former Fujichrome. Did you use it?

I'm interested to hear from anyone who used Fujifilm's former Fujichrome films -- which was Fuji's equivalent to Kodachrome. What is your opinion of the specific Stocks you used, and how do you think they compared to Kodachrome?
    Mr. Terry Mester

www.zeuter.com/~tlmester

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    35mm Fujichrome 100RDP? If so then I always preferred the skins tones compared to Kodachrome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer all the current Fuji professional range of slide films to Kodachrome, and I can have them processed in two hours .
    Last edited by benjiboy; 11-07-2010 at 11:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Edtog View Post
    35mm Fujichrome 100RDP? If so then I always preferred the skins tones compared to Kodachrome.
    Fuji had an early transparency film that was closer to Kodachrome in terms of the process, as did Ilford.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used the early RDP and the 50 speed non-professional they had. I can't remember what it was called. I also used EPN about as much and preferred them all to Kodachrome when I was after more predictable results. I used to shoot a lot of product and artwork and they seemed to behave better. I liked the Kodachrome for it's saturation and contrast and used it for the fun stuff until Velvia 50 came along and pretty much switched to it because of difficulties I had with K14 processing. I worked at a lab at the time and could at least check the E6 plots before putting my film in the machine. Honestly, I just wish I could have good R printing from any of these great films whether it be ciba or fuji super. Makes me pretty freaking sad.

I used a lot of RDP in 35mm at photo school, and for about 15 years after that in studio tabletop and location work. Fuji films had a bit more zip and saturation than Kodak for a lot of the work we did. We generally avoided it for skin tones before the advent of Astia, and even that tended to be a bit magenta. We used Kodak E100X for models shots showing skin tones. I was never a fan of Velvia. I prefer the look of Astia for landscape work. The Fuji 64Tungsten was fabulous stuff. I don't shoot chromes any more. Any color work I do these days is on Kodak negative film. Haven't used Kodachrome in 20 years, but it was my mainstay before that. E-6 was good, fast, local.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    35mm
    I used Fujichrome 50 for a year or two. It had more saturated color than Kodachrome 64 but was softer and a little grainier. Definitely grainier than K25. Velvia solved both those problems, and I liked the colors, so I never went back to F50 or Kodachrome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used a lot of RTP for personal work. I liked the colors a lot. When you pushed or pulled the film, the colors stayed pretty neutral without colors shifting. I rarely used it for my pro work because the colors were too amped up. Fuji Chrome had a "Japanesy" look. I used Kodak's EPP for jobs. I've used Velvia once and I liked it. I think it could be the closest thing to Kodachrome. But there's not substitute for Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you talking about the E-4 compatible Fujichrome, or the non-integrated coupler Fujichrome? I've never used either, but I think you'll have a hard time finding people that remember the non-integrated coupler one, as (IIRC) it was only sold where there were Fuji labs nearby (mostly Japan), and it was discontinued in thee 1960s.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not that old! All the Fujichrome I used are E6 films.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin