Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,022   Online: 1175

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was given a couple of complimentary rolls to test by AG Photographic in the UK. I am mainly a 120/5x4 shooter so am eagerly awaiting it in 120.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seafoto View Post
    Let's stick to the doom and gloom, I've just tried Four Rollei Retro 400, developed in Rollei RHS, precise timing and temperature and drew out four almost clear strips, Then processed an Ilford Delta 100 in the RHS and all came out good. Two of the Rollei films using a different camera, still almost clear, very faint image. So, went back to my favorite film Ilford HP5, still in RHS developer, and all good negatives.Could be me!! As my previous communication says, I'm returning to my darkroom, but have processed many films before, never almost clear negs.
    I have one more Rollei film to go, not sure what else to try, during the last film I increased the time by two minutes but no real improvement.
    I do accept that this is part of the fun of this hobby, all digital are perfect but thats why I'm back in the darkroom.
    Any information on this film would be very wellcome or I may have to pull out "The Beginners Guide to Photography"
    This entire story smells like something went wrong during exposure time. It sounds like the film was underexposed by two stops. The only way for that to happen, except user error, is if the film is actually a 100 ISO film wrongly packaged as as the 400 ISO variant in a 400 ISO canister.

Now that is unlikely too, although manufacturers do screw up once in a while. However, to be sure, could you verify your exposure times next time, and make absolutely sure you are exposing for 400 ISO. In addition, you may wish to have your HP5 run along doing exactly the same exposures at the same F stop / time settings. In addition, shoot one of your supposed Rollei Retro 400 films at 100 ISO setting. If it turns out good after development, I guess you have definite proof you have a wrongly packaged ISO 100 film.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    35mm
    rphenning, I too stumbled around for years getting what I thought were ok results until I decided I would try calibrating as described by many photographers far more knowledgeable than me, Ansel Adams to name but one. It is time consuming and sometimes tedious, but well worth the effort in my opinion. Manufacturers data is a starting point, that's all. Some manufacturers are better than others in this regard and one can be relatively close.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We were finally sent some film to test RPX100 & 400. The initial word was this film was not happening. The situation seems to have changed. We have tested it in dr5 but not yet in our neg-line. It is not like any other film in our current line-up. http://www.dr5.com/blackandwhiteslide/rpx100.html http://www.dr5.com/blackandwhiteslide/rpx400.html

regards

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post
    We were finally sent some film to test RPX100 & 400. The initial word was this film was not happening. The situation seems to have changed. We have tested it in dr5 but not yet in our neg-line. It is not like any other film in our current line-up. http://www.dr5.com/blackandwhiteslide/rpx100.html http://www.dr5.com/blackandwhiteslide/rpx400.html

regards
    Some good news that these films come in 35mm and 120. I'm particularly interested in the RPX100 in 120 with the recent withdraw of Plus-X for medium speed medium format fans.

As for availability in the US, I hope this is a turn in a positive direction.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin