Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,667   Online: 1224

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Freight Problems making for Film availibilty Wories?

I just came from Freestyles home page, where they are announcing that they have switched a shipment of EFKE products from Air Fright to Sea Freight. Apperently new US customs/DHS rules mean that all air shipments coming into the States may be subject to High level X-rays because of the Exploding Toner cartridge caper...

The implication was that they may no longer be able to receive film and paper by air from any of their suppliers.

For many of us outside the US, Our film supplies spend time at The Freestyle Warehouse before travelling via USPS and Their Air Contractor FedEX. I have always worried that a package intended for my darkroom might get Zapped.

At one time I would order all my supplies in the spring and fall, when temperatures were expected to be moderate, and request surface shipping, but that option has been discontinued.

I am wondering if we will have to get one of the Canadian Dealers to bring in some of the prooducts from frestyles wholesale division, and truck it in using a border crossing that is too small to have the truck X-ray units that the Department of Paranoia err I mean Homeland security has been talking about.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    I just came from Freestyles home page, where they are announcing that they have switched a shipment of EFKE products from Air Fright to Sea Freight. Apperently new US customs/DHS rules mean that all air shipments coming into the States may be subject to High level X-rays because of the Exploding Toner cartridge caper...

The implication was that they may no longer be able to receive film and paper by air from any of their suppliers.

For many of us outside the US, Our film supplies spend time at The Freestyle Warehouse before travelling via USPS and Their Air Contractor FedEX. I have always worried that a package intended for my darkroom might get Zapped.

At one time I would order all my supplies in the spring and fall, when temperatures were expected to be moderate, and request surface shipping, but that option has been discontinued.

I am wondering if we will have to get one of the Canadian Dealers to bring in some of the prooducts from frestyles wholesale division, and truck it in using a border crossing that is too small to have the truck X-ray units that the Department of Paranoia err I mean Homeland security has been talking about.
    Wow! That could seriously cause some big issues, not just with the US market, but with just about any market around the world.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well I hope Freestyle had a very good inventory control system since the lead time will be much longer. But since sea fright tends to be cheaper than air fright will prices drop??? Doubtful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is very possible for freight shipping containers to be xrayed as well, but it's apparently pretty spotty/uncommon.

Products can be sent without all the security precautions if they come from a TSA certified packing facility. Background checks on the staff, training, security procedures protecting the cargo, etc... A local business that ships live lobsters had to investigate the process so that their product can be shipped efficiently without being held up by the screening procedures. (every hour is valuable for getting lobsters shipped so they remain lively at their final destination)

Probably the film/paper businesses will have to do something the placates the TSA and their local paranoia agency equivalent. After that they could potentially resume air-shipping of film without xraying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I doubt it'd be cheaper either. There is a higher possibility (from almost impossible to very remote) of a container disappearing when shipped by sea, which might reduce some of the cost savings. Pirates, storms, dock crooks, logistical problems, all sorts of possibilities. Temperatures are apt to be warm too if it's sent via a warm shipping route unless the shippers use a refrigerated container. Someone like Freestyle will also have to keep a much bigger inventory which is costly, as new supplies won't be arriving as fast and it will tie up more of their money for longer periods of time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks like they have already jacked up the price of efke/adox products
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe you can get Flying Cloud direct from Liverpool?

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-s...p-busy-2010-10

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Products can be sent without all the security precautions if they come from a TSA certified packing facility. Background checks on the staff, training, security procedures protecting the cargo, etc... A local business that ships live lobsters had to investigate the process so that their product can be shipped efficiently without being held up by the screening procedures. (every hour is valuable for getting lobsters shipped so they remain lively at their final destination)
    I'm sure I read that this is how Kodak handle it, to make sure their products arent exposed to undue radiation in shipping they're all signed off on by an official at the packing stage. I assume Ilford and Fuji handle it in a similar fashion. Efke could do the same.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Haven't we verified enough that X-rays only effect extremely high-speed materials?
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cargo, just like checked baggage, can be zapped at a much higher rate, able to fog film even on the first pass.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin