Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,949   Posts: 1,585,937   Online: 1001

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think we'd be better off campaigning for a Kodachrome-like E6 or C41 film, I don't know much about the chemistry of Kodachrome, but I know nobody processes it any more apart from Dwayne's. Even if Kodachrome was reintroduced in some small way, it would surely be a reprieve for a year or two until the minimum order just didn't come. I think perhaps our best chance of a film like this would be Maco/Rollei/Efke/Foma or someone like that, a film maker who is used to smaller volumes and dealing in more "retro" films. I've only shot one roll of Kodachrome, didn't really like it, but I'd certainly give it another try, whether it was the real thing, or some Kodachrome-like E6 film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very simple answer, they discontinued the film because now one bought it, the same with paper and other films. If Kodak can make money of them they would do that. Today there is so few who shoots film (I mean professional, an amateur shooting 2-3 roles a week wont make that much different). I say instead of trying to save a dead/old product, try instead to save the remaining film. I personal would love if the Kodachrome choice existed, but i rather have some film then no film at all. Personal I have choose to support Ilford, Fuji and Adox, and I make sure that i really support these companies, chemicals, papers and film.

cheers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree with sandholm, although I think Kodak needs support too, they likely still the most pro-active film company in terms of new releases and overall range of film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    I agree with sandholm, although I think Kodak needs support too, they likely still the most pro-active film company in terms of new releases and overall range of film.
    Absolute, I have nothing against Kodak, but its just easier for me to get Ilford and Fuji here.

Another thing, by fresh film, dont buy outdated film on ebay, this will not help the film movement or the companies, they have to sell new produced film.

cheers

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim,

Our fellow member Terry M. tried to get a custom production on his behalf of Kodachrome made by Kodak from the ground.
    To my understanding not even serieus talks came about due to lack of interest by Kodak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
    email address doesn't seem to be working?
    As I recall, Audrey Jonckheer retired last year, right about the time Kodachrome was discontinued.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Jim,

Good though your intentions are, I think you're fighting a losing battle, as it's not just about the film manufacture but also the processing. I haven't used Kodachrome regularly for some time because of the processing QC issues I've experienced with Dwayne's and as long as that's the only place to get it processed it could be stacked six feet high on the shelves and I still wouldn't buy the stuff. Having said that, I recently shot a token last roll out of a kind of respect for the enjoyment I once had for the film in the old days of UK Hemel Hempstead processing and posted it yesterday. Kodachrome is like an old dog - there's a time when you just have to say goodbye!

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dreaming? Yes, why not. Kodachrome might be dead and I may have to live with it, but I will never fogive myself if I don't do eerything I can to save it.

The proper email: audrey.jonckheer@kodak.com.

She was still there this past June when I rec'd an email from her.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'll miss Kodachrome a bit when I have used my last roll (in the fridge now), but given that Kodachrome 25 has already been gone for years, the loss feels a little less terrible. And, let's face it, while nothing really looks like Kodachrome, today's E-6 and C-41 films are of very high quality; the difference is much, much less than it used to be. It will be hard enough going forward for film companies just to maintain existing products, an outlier like Kodachrome with only one lab for processing has no future. The time to have fought for Kodachrome was ten or twenty years ago, not now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The decision to discontinue Kodachrome must have been made at boardroom level, and all the wishing in the World isn't going to bring it back, we just have to deal with the fact.
    Ben

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin