Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,354   Online: 823

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Saving Kodachrome?

After several months of writing letters to EK to save Kodachrome and getting nowhere, I could use some help. I have come up with what I think is a viable plan for saving Kodachrome.

1) Kodak sets up a link on their website for people to PRE-ORDER and PRE-PAY for Kodachrome. B&H, Adorama, Freestyle and whoever else wants to paticipate may join in. Minimum # of rolls required. Once a minimum # of rolls has been sold, make the film! It's PAID FOR.

2) Enclose a coupon or mailer to Dwayne's where the Kodachrome is processed.

I realize that Kodachrome doesn't sell like it used to, but most of us can probably live with it being made every 2-3 years. I plan on ordering 100 rolls! How many are you good for?

Everyone should be happy. Kodak makes film, Kodachrome users are happy, Dwayne's is happy.

However, Kodak isn't listening. Many letters were ignored. Mostly what I got back were generic responses telling me that Kodak thanks me for my interest in Kodachrome, but it has been discontinued. One letter told me that they wouldn't consider my idea because I don't work for Kodak. Ok Kodak, stay dumb. I think you need all the help you can get. Instead of laying people off and demolishing building, you should be making film. Making film part-time is surely better than not at all.

Dwayne's never responded to my letters.

If you love this film (and this method could work for other films as well; can you imagine Super XX, Verichrome, TXP and TXP in 220 again?) write a letter or email. Please mention my idea, or one of your own if you have one.

Write to:
    Audrey Jonckheer
    Eastman Kodak
    343 State St.
    Rochester, NY 14650
    audreyjonckheer@kodak.com

Thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wish you well.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll write too. I have nothing to loose but my time and $0.44....By history, if they can, they do listen to us...Ektar 100...Portra 400...
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think in general that giving companies feedback is a good thing to do, but this campaign has 0.0001% chance of succeeding.

I mean, tell them what you think, but I feel like having Kodachrome as long as we did was miraculous enough. Write them with something realistic that they'll listen to, otherwise you're just one of the "crazies" who writes in... it only serves to discredit film consumers and their feedback.

MO

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim;

You dream!

There is more to Kodachrome than coating the film. Someone has to make the couplers, developing agents and processing kits. This is a very costly and lengthy process. You just cannot do it at once. And, the chemistry must be used in a specified time or it goes bad, as does the film.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd love to see Verichrome Pan in 126 again but sadly I have to be realistic...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    I'll write too. I have nothing to loose but my time and $0.44....By history, if they can, they do listen to us...Ektar 100...Portra 400...
    So you (and who are your partners in crime?) were responsible for the discontinuation of Portra 400 NC...!

Shooter
    35mm
    email address doesn't seem to be working?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jim,
    I share your enthousiasm for Kodachrome although I've never had the chance to shoot some. I think that even if technically, as PE explained, it cannot be viable as a niche market product, if a lot of us protest loudly enough and show an interest in the ressurection of Kodachrome in one form or another, they might start to think that there could be a way to make money out it afterall. I would love to see Kodachrome in 120 and sheet film. I think a lot of people are rediscovering the pleasure of analog photography these days and are getting access to medium and large format gear for cheap. I think the potential has changed since the 90's. What about the Kodachrome mini-labs that seemed to have already been R&Ded? Shouldn't cost a lot to make it up to date and it would give a good reason to get into a local photostore again.

Lionel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Kodak has made these two films to try and keep color negs afloat amid dying demand, not because they were listening to consumers' letters. If they had been listening to consumers' letters, we may have Ektar (though why, when there is a poppy film that is not ugly: 160VC? Who was actually requesting something like Ektar?), but certainly not Portra 400. In regards to the 400, who writes a letter and says, "I want less aesthetic choice; what we need is something a little bit more middle of the road, and we need to get rid of anything but?" Ektar is unnecessary, redundant (How many medium speed color neg. films do we really need?), and IMHO ugly as sin, but gives the people who like cartoon colors what they want. I think Kodak thought 1) Ektar would attract young digital-taught types and 2) it would attract former Kodachrome lovers. Portra 400 is a middle-of-the-road version of two spectacular and very different emulsions that were axed. So much for creative/aesthetic choice in the 400-speed color negative area, especially now that there is no cut paper but Supra (and even that may be gone)! To think of it as a new product is technically correct, but a bit perverted IMO. All Kodak has done with the 400 is to reduce our palette even farther. The truth is that they are not making products for 100% analog color photographers any more. 100% analog color photography is on its death bed. They are making products for hybrid photographers, who don't need to make aesthetic decisions ahead of time, because they can just shoot something middle of the road in camera, and make the choices later. With what has gone on with color negs in the last year, I see this eventually boiling down to a 400 film and a 100 film, or maybe two, from each Kodak and Fuji, and no color cut paper at all – everything color analog made solely for hybrid use. Reala, 160NS, and 400H from Fuji, and Ektar, Portra 160, and Portra 400 from Kodak. Then what happens?

But on a positive note, Freestyle is sold out of all color neg 120 film, because they say that they underestimated the current demand, and the manufacturers are trying to catch up to their orders. High demand, or doomsday hoarders? I have certainly done my share of stocking up lately.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 11-23-2010 at 03:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin