Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,841   Online: 1089

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    On the Canham site I only see 5x7. So let me get this straight, there won't be any 8x10 PERIOD?
    Last edited by Andrew O'Neill; 12-10-2010 at 09:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    I understand that many here will be incredulous. However, I went to the web site of a company that sells 8x10 Kodak film, and was greeted with the news that Kodak 8x10 TMax 400 and 100 film had been discontinued immediately. I called Kodak, and the gentleman with whom I spoke called individuals in Kodak Corporate who confirmed that indeed, in 8x10 sizes, both Kodak Tmax 400 and 100 will no longer be manufactured. Such films will be available in 4x5 sheets. Thus, the only 8x10 Kodak black and white film that will be offered on a regular basis will be TriX and ONLY if the demand for such film continues. One can only hope that Ilford will continue to make their excellent 8x10 HP5, FP4, and Delta 100.
    I wonder what John Sexton would do? He reports using TMY in 4x5. What film would he switch to? I ordered my first pack of Ilford HP-5 8x10 today to do some testing.

I still have about 80 sheets of TMY 8x10. Maybe it will go the way of Jobo expert drums and I can sell it to fund my retirement.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    On the Canham site I only see 5x7. So let me get this straight, there won't be any 8x10 PERIOD?
    I emailed Canham last night to see if he would do any group purchases of TMY 8x10 but have not heard back. I would have thought Kodak would make an announcement and allow one last big purchase. Certainly they could have made some money on that?
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I might mention here that in talking to a friend, he informed me that Kodak orders for 8x10 film in the last year were so sparse that they were hand packed rather than machine packed. So for all the noise here, there appear to have been few orders. So few that the automatic packing equipment for the large sizes was shut down.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes. Practically nobody shoots the stuff. That is the problem. We should quit blaming Kodak and start blaming commercial photography clients. (Not that it will do any good to place blame. It would just be better if the blame was correctly placed.)
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Based on Kodak's recent behavior, I'm betting that there's a 320TXP 7-mil polyester base master roll stored in Rochester. As demand warrants, it's cut and finished. When that roll is used up (or spoils from age), there will be a Tri-X sheet film discontinuation too.
    Echos my thoughts exactly, and would explain a lot. But I did not want to say so publicly here for fear of being burned at the stake.

The Kodachrome model, minus the hype?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think many of us realize the amount of sale required to be "commercially viable" for a large corporation like Kodak.... Not only does this amount needs to be met, it has to be sustained....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I might mention here that in talking to a friend, he informed me that Kodak orders for 8x10 film in the last year were so sparse that they were hand packed rather than machine packed. So for all the noise here, there appear to have been few orders. So few that the automatic packing equipment for the large sizes was shut down.

PE
    That's the real story here. If we don't buy it, they won't make it. Personally, I haven't purchased 8x10 TMY since 2007. I still shoot it exclusively in 8x10, but retailers started being "out of stock" just prior to TMY-2 being introduced. I purchased a couple thousand sheets of TMY back then and have been making my way through it. This week I made my 1st purchase of TMY-2. Had Kodak given us some notice that it was going to disappear, I likely would have purchased even more. IMO it's simply the best B&W film available. When I consider the cost of a camera, holders, lenses etc. the cost of film is still the cheap stuff, even at $5/sheet.
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Large Format
    There were some interesting comments at TOP by Mike Johnston and others on the market re-alignment in film manufacturers: among the 4-5 companies currently in the market, there will most likely be one or more leaving the market. If true, who would you want to be the last standing - a Company that has made a public commitment to B&W film, or one who has made it known that they wish to leave the market? If the former, then why buy anything from the latter since even increased purchases of their product will not change their attitude towards film? I have enough T-Max 400 to last me for awhile, and I hope Adox delivers a great product with pan 400 so I can ignore the yellow box company. What a shame that the Company built by George Eastman has come to this. Oh well, time to move on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If they continue to make the stuff in 4x5, we know they have the capability to make the 8x10 in special runs. That means that those of us shooting 4x5 need to continue to buy it as well. I just purchased a box of TMX and TMY in 4x5 yesterday, and I'll probably buy a few more when they are available locally. I'm new to this format, so I'm making a lot of mistakes!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin