Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,662   Posts: 1,481,617   Online: 885

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it!

I have not gotten over that fact that now this I got into LF with two 4x5 cameras, Kodak no longer makes Tri-X 400 in 4x5!

Kodak is moving away from slides and ceding that territory to Fuji while Fuji is moving away from C-41 and ceding that territory to Kodak!

At times I feel like I am sinking in quicksand during an earthquake!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmmm, When did Kodak make Tri-X 400 in 4x5?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass
    Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Stop it!

I have not gotten over that fact that now this I got into LF with two 4x5 cameras, Kodak no longer makes Tri-X 400 in 4x5!

Kodak is moving away from slides and ceding that territory to Fuji while Fuji is moving away from C-41 and ceding that territory to Kodak!

At times I feel like I am sinking in quicksand during an earthquake!
    And Ilford is still trying to fend off the little guys from capturing too much of the B&W market that both Kodak and Fuji are abandoning.

Buy film. Who is around here that says it\'s never too early to panic?

MB
    Last edited by michaelbsc; 12-08-2010 at 07:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Who is around here that says it's never too early to panic?
    Dunno... might want to Ask Chris about that...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JLP View Post
    Hmmmm, When did Kodak make Tri-X 400 in 4x5?
    If they did not, then they should have!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post

So did anyone else notice that Kodak Plus-X film has now been relegated to also-ran status on Kodak's Professional Black & White Films webpage?

It's now listed way down at the bottom under the heading "Other Black and White Films" along with T-MAX P3200, and now merits only two lonely sentences of product information description. It's also conspicuously missing from the "Traditional" black & white films section of Kodak's online store - as is P3200 from the "T-Max" section.

I wonder why that is?

Maybe it's Kodak's way of trying to sell more of it?

Ken
    I can't explain this, but I first noticed it just about when I joined APUG (is it really 5 years ago?).

I don't know how long it had been that way before I noticed it.

It hasn't stopped me from buying and using the film.

I don't think Kodak has ever really got away mentally from the era when the local camera store was a dealer, had access to all products at reasonable prices, and was an enthusiastic marketer of Kodak products.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Good news Mirko!!!! Any idea as to when the film will be available in 8x10. Probably via Freestyle?
    Last edited by Mahler_one; 12-08-2010 at 08:54 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Well done Ken!...creative use of the smiley faces....

Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    Well it kind of works like this:

Yesterday President O reduced my 2011 SS taxes. Today I spent those savings, and more, on 8x10 TMY. Well, SOMEBODY has to stimulate this economy :-)
    I just "clicked to" several dealers that sell the TMax 400 on line.....within a few hours of this thread being established and amplified, the supply of the film they had on hand has apparently been sold out. Who knows if they will be able to order any more. I had checked their supply BEFORE posting the discontinuation notice, and there was film to be ordered. I have no idea how many boxes they had on hand, but talk about 'the power of the internet"....gone in just a few hours...amazing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I would have figured TMY would be the last film standing. It's strange to me that they will be coating TXP and not TMY. Isn't 8x10 and 4x5 cut from the same roll?
    Maybe they aren't coating TXP...merely that the TMY master rolls were depleted before the TXP ones.

Raw material costs for film have been going to the moon (and not just silver, all the rare earth metals needed for panchromatic sensitivity have become increasingly expensive). You really have to wonder how much longer film is going to be viable for Kodak now. It's got nothing to do with the "New Business Model" - there just isn't much demand and the costs simply must be sky-rocketing.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin