Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,812   Online: 843

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

Kodak Tmax 8x10, 400 and 100, discontinued.

I understand that many here will be incredulous. However, I went to the web site of a company that sells 8x10 Kodak film, and was greeted with the news that Kodak 8x10 TMax 400 and 100 film had been discontinued immediately. I called Kodak, and the gentleman with whom I spoke called individuals in Kodak Corporate who confirmed that indeed, in 8x10 sizes, both Kodak Tmax 400 and 100 will no longer be manufactured. Such films will be available in 4x5 sheets. Thus, the only 8x10 Kodak black and white film that will be offered on a regular basis will be TriX and ONLY if the demand for such film continues. One can only hope that Ilford will continue to make their excellent 8x10 HP5, FP4, and Delta 100.
    Last edited by Mahler_one; 12-08-2010 at 12:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A sad day to see this happen. 8x10 TMY has been my most used film and will until it is all gone.
    Kodak's web shop does not show it, only up to 4x5 but i did not find any formal discontinuation notice.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would have figured TMY would be the last film standing. It's strange to me that they will be coating TXP and not TMY. Isn't 8x10 and 4x5 cut from the same roll?
    f/22 and be there.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am very sorry to hear this. These are hard times to be a film user.

-Laura

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Indeed. I hope this turns out to be incorrect info. (No offense to the original poster)
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Kodak shot themselves in the foot when they switched to 10 sheet packaging for 8x10 b&w films. A lot of amateurs dropped Kodak 8x10 b&w film because of the inconvenient packaging and high price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    ...in 8x10 sizes, both Kodak Tmax 400 and 100 will no longer be manufactured. Such films will be available in 4x5 sheets. Thus, the only 8x10 Kodak black and white film that will be offered on a regular basis will be TriX and ONLY if the demand for such film continues...
    I just confirmed that with Pete at Kodak Professional Products (Ext. 19). Kodak has also just discontinued TMX in 5x7, where 320TXP will be the only film available as a stock item.

It doesn't seem like the 10-sheet boxes of 8x10 were to blame, since 5x7 TMX continued to be packaged in 50-sheet boxes, to no apparent avail.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, but I see no surprise whatsoever in this announcement. No foot-shooting here at all. Just Kodak continuing to move toward its brave new world.

Go Kodak Packaging! (See here for an explanation in the section titled "A new company.")

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    So if you had to pick up the last film standing for Kodak what would it be? I vote trix-400 in 35mm and next to last txp in 4x5. Also, ilford would be the last manufacturer of film standing right?
    Steven

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by squinonescolon View Post
    So if you had to pick up the last film standing for Kodak what would it be? I vote trix-400 in 35mm and next to last txp in 4x5. Also, ilford would be the last manufacturer of film standing right?
    Steven
    Especially after reading the link Ken posted above.

I've shot mostly Kodak/Fuji, so have been out of the Ilford "loop": did they go thru a reorganization, and is the group producing film strictly focused on film and related items? If so, I'd say they are likely to the the last ones standing (in which case there's a good argument for switching to them sooner, rather than later, to give the best shot at someone left standing).

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin