Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,681   Posts: 1,482,192   Online: 1065

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji UK don't list Astia for sale on their website in any size, I think what's discontinued depends in what country you live in, there seems to be no coordinated policy Worldwide http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/...fuji-film.html
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Fuji UK don't list Astia for sale on their website in any size, I think what's discontinued depends in what country you live in, there seems to be no coordinated policy Worldwide
    Well, except that if its discontinued in Japan it seems they no longer manufacture it so it isn't available anywhere. Foreign market discontinuations are usually followed by domestic ones.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by edp View Post
    E100G and a 81B filter.
    Sure, but then I need a bunch of sizes of filters, and lose some light through the filter, etc. Sure was easier to just load a roll of film.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Cutting Reala in 35mm (in the UK) drove me to MF.
    There's still plenty of 135 Reala on 7 day shop and Amazon UK,.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    There's still plenty of 135 Reala on 7 day shop and Amazon UK,.
    Yes, I know, I've got a bit stashed away also. But it is an endangered species in 35mm.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Isn't it true that Astia is the most neutral, realistic palette of Fuji's? Why then wouldn't they get rid of Provia, and then you've got Astia and Velvia 100. Or is Velvia 100 much more saturated than Provia?

Either way, it's sad, we're left with garrish films. EPP has been dropped, 400NC has been dropped (though by all accounts Portra 400 is great); what left do we have for pleasant, non-exaggerated color?

The films are only "garish" if you do not prudently temper the palette by shooting in the appropriate light the film was designed for. It's not rocket science.

Velvia 50, 100F and 100 are all enriched palettes (100 being particularly troublesome) compared to that of Provia, which is very useful in contrasty lighting when the Velvias would cause their predictable mischief.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well perhaps garish was an overstatement, but I think you know what I mean.

Luckily I have about 10 rolls in ye ole' freezer, RIP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    The films are only "garish" if you do not prudently temper the palette by shooting in the appropriate light the film was designed for. It's not rocket science.

Velvia 50, 100F and 100 are all enriched palettes (100 being particularly troublesome) compared to that of Provia, which is very useful in contrasty lighting when the Velvias would cause their predictable mischief.
    Yes, I only use Velvia in overcast.

But if there's no Astia, it has to be one of the others in the light Astia was designed for.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Doing a search for "Astia discontinued" shows some interesting history, with threads going back at least to 2002 that Astia has been discontinued. Sounds like it really may have died this time. BTW, B&H shows Astia 4x5 as "discontinued"; others show it as out of stock/not available (but Glazers in Seattle will sell a box of 10 sheets for $45-50 (!)- that's perhaps the truest sign it's discontinued . Perhaps the whole family is disappearing?

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I just ordered 30 rolls from Adorama. Guess I'll have to eat all the ice cream in the freezer so the film will fit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin