Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,698   Posts: 1,482,558   Online: 906

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

35mm negative availability

Hi all,
    I speak as a confused Englishman (there are a few of us about at the moment, for many reasons). My film of choice, at least for recording the family and friends has been Reala for some time, in 35mm in my Nikon F4. I have seen many rumours, some half-truths, and some obvious misdirections, but I ask you all, what exactly is the status of 35mm negative film at the moment in the UK? What can I still get and what, at least in the medium term, is still going to be there in my camera for the coming year?

I see much still available in the online shops but I need some sense of comfort that I'll still gain the excitement of that delivery of prints in the coming year.

ta!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Here i am speaking as a confused Italian man,
    i don't know exactly what's the situation in the UK. I sent an email to Fuji Italia and i've been told that the 35mm Reala production
    was about to cease (this was three months ago). 120 Reala is still in production.
    And i also was told this is not only for Italy but for the entire globe.
    Anyway the shop where i buy my analog stuff (www.fotomatica.it) has still plenty of it.
    I've started to use Ektar 100, Portra 160 (VC and NC) and they are ok.
    My personal taste says that Reala is a bit better.
    I've read some posts here stating, more or less, that Kodak is about to be the main film company (especially C-41) and Fuji may be the main in slides.
    My humble suggestion is to start and using something else.
    Good luck
    Last edited by faustotesta; 12-17-2010 at 03:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    35mm Reala is no longer going to be imported into the UK (or the EU, I think). There's a lot still out there, mind, and I think you'll be good to find stock for a while yet. So far as I'm aware, the only other big cuts are Pro 800Z and Portra 400 NC/VC which are being replaced by a new 400 film. The status of 35mm negative film in the UK is reasonable at present, I think.

As for a replacement for Reala, it's a question many of us are asking. Perhaps Superia 200 or Gold 200.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is not good news if it's no longer going to be available in 35mm. I have used some Ektar, I've gotten so used to Reala though that it's hard to imagine using anything else.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah, I'm the same. I actually bought a medium format camera so I could still use Reala as it's going to be still available in 120. If I was you, I'd go and buy 20 rolls from 7dayshop, probably before the VAT rise too!
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    well, I have a fridge full of Reala in 120 for my RB67, but it's the 35mm availability that worries me. I've shot so much of it over the years that it's a concern what to shoot next if it's no longer there. I have to say though that any discontinuation all seems a bit 'smoke and mirrors' at the moment.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No Reala in 35mm.

This is Fuji's still photo range as presented at Photokina 2 months ago:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4154/...75fd3c17c0.jpg

(photo by fellow member RobertV)

Sorry, can't find my printed copy at the moment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fujifilm seems to be a poor bet at the moment. Astia, now Reala in 35mm gone. Good day to pick up 120 cameras but for how long will that be available?
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by xtolsniffer View Post
    well, I have a fridge full of Reala in 120 for my RB67, but it's the 35mm availability that worries me.
    7DS have an offer on 35mm Reala at the moment, ten rolls for £30:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=5749
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    No Reala in 35mm.

This is Fuji's still photo range as presented at Photokina 2 months ago:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4154/...75fd3c17c0.jpg

(photo by fellow member RobertV)

Sorry, can't find my printed copy at the moment.
    If that really is it, then those are pretty slim pickings indeed, though there are films missing there that don't seem to have any indications of being discontinued.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin