Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,520   Online: 1014

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The moral of the story seems to be, if it's in stock then buy it. I just bought 10 rolls of Reala 120 at B&H for $3.49/roll a few days ago. Today I look and they're $3.99 a roll, obviously I should have bought 20 rolls! Reala is supposedly discontinued too but both B&H and Adorama have it. Adorama is out of Fuji 400H 120 however, go figure. B&H doesn't have any Fuji 160 120 at all at the moment! Lots of Kodak 160 however... shoot it, keep shooting it until it's gone I say! Hopefully if we buy enough it will stay.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lately I've been using shorter rolls. Got used to using my RB67.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    Lately I've been using shorter rolls. Got used to using my RB67.

Jeff
    Agreed, 10 shots per roll is great! Easy to finish in a session while sometimes a 135-36 roll will sit for a few weeks. Even 24 shots seems long, I like to bulk load 12 shots worth when I can in 126.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AFAIK, Reala is not "supposedly discontinued." These rumors start every year or so, though. The way I had it explained to me by Freestyle is that Reala is coated and shipped out all over the world only once every so often. When these stocks run out, the discontinuation rumors begin. Then the next run is made, and Reala returns to overseas (meaning not in Japan) retailers' shelves. There have been at lease three discontinuation rumors for Reala in the past five years, and none of them have proved true except for in certain formats in certain markets (England e.g.).

Nonetheless, I stock up on Reala in 120 whenever I can afford it.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reala 100 in 120 is great but I'm not crazy about the Superia 400 color palette.

Is the "Superia Reala 100" in 135 the same emulsion as reala 100 in 120?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Is the "Superia Reala 100" in 135 the same emulsion as reala 100 in 120?
    I think so. I'd heard talk online of them being different but I've printed both optically and they print on the same filter pack and look the same to my eye.
    Steve.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Always thought Superia Reala shared the 4th layer technology common to the rest of the Superia line, along with not being available in 120. There are multiple threads on this over at photo.net. Reala 120 always looked less saturated and contrasty than Superia 100, which produced a crayola, Pokemon-like palette in 120--truly ugly stuff I don't miss.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As far as I can tell from the data sheet, Superia Reala does not have a fourth color layer.

It is interesting that the data sheet states that it is only available in 135 format. I have many rolls of Reala 120 in my freezer, and they can be purchased from B&H and Freestyle. I never noticed a difference between the results from 120 and 135 versions, so I assumed they were of the same design. But I guess not, or else they would probably be on the same data sheet.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-20-2011 at 04:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As far as I can tell from the data sheet, Superia Reala does not have a fourth color layer.

Not sure about that:

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/...ala/index.html

4th layer was baked-into all the Superia line. "Reala" apparently doesn't have it. Edge codes aren't same, which is usually how to tell which is which:

http://gastonline.free.fr/Files/Film...NotchCodes.pdf
    Last edited by CGW; 03-20-2011 at 04:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're right; I missed the skinny little cyan sensitive layer when I was looking at the cross section in the data sheet. Makes sense considering how easy the film is to work with.
    2F/2F

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin