Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,127   Online: 860

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the fourth layer has now been dropped from 35mm Reala, the latest boxes I've got with 2012 expiry make no mention of it and I'm sure there was a thread last year about the layer being dropped from the Superia line. Regardless of what happens to the 35mm version, who knows if the 120 has / had the fourth layer or not; the data sheet is rarer than hens' teeth so who can check?
    Steve.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think it's there. All that vanished was mention of it on the packaging. I think the consensus is that 120 Reala and 35mm Reala, Superia or otherwise, are not the same material, if the pdf I posted is to be believed. Check out the multiple threads on photo.net, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Perhaps the difference is subtle enough to be missed by my untrained eye. They really do look and act the same to me.
    Steve.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Perhaps the difference is subtle enough to be missed by my untrained eye. They really do look and act the same to me.
    I shot some Superia 100 in 120 a few years ago and hated it(the only Superia available in 120, I think).Just too much saturation and contrast. Sadly, Fuji never spooled Superia 200 in 120--by far my favorite, next to 800, of the Superia consumer line. Reala, though, was very different in 120, probably my favorite 120 C-41, followed by Ektar. The new Portra 160 is something I'm looking forward to shooting.

Shooter
    35mm
    That's interesting that you found a large difference. I'm with you on the 200 & 800 Superias, mind, they're both favourites of mine. I'm going to have another look at my Reala prints when the sun's out later on and see if I can spot any difference. Over here in the UK we get Superia 400 in 120 but sadly Reala 35mm is no longer being imported into the EU.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is definitely a highly visible difference between Superia 100 and Superia Reala 100. The latter behaves like a Fujicolor Pro film in every way. But they do not designate it as such. I don't dislike Superia 100, but IMO it acts like a consumer film, while Reala acts like a pro film.

The question is whether there is a difference between Superia Reala 100 in 35mm and Reala 100 in 120 (also available in 220 in Japan last I checked). From what I can tell, there is not a difference. However, the data sheet for the 135 version being separate from the medium format data sheet would suggest that there is.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    It would be nice to see / find the 120 data sheet.
    Steve.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    There is definitely a highly visible difference between Superia 100 and Superia Reala 100. The latter behaves like a Fujicolor Pro film in every way. But they do not designate it as such. I don't dislike Superia 100, but IMO it acts like a consumer film, while Reala acts like a pro film.

The question is whether there is a difference between Superia Reala 100 in 35mm and Reala 100 in 120 (also available in 220 in Japan last I checked). From what I can tell, there is not a difference. However, the data sheet for the 135 version being separate from the medium format data sheet would suggest that there is.
    The edge codes appear to be different, which would mean a different emulsion.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    B&H seems to use the term "discontinued" to refer to items that they no longer carry, not to items that have been discontinued in manufacture. While the product may be gone entirely, I would not use B&H's, or ant retailer's, "discontinued" descriptions as a marker of what is being manufactured and what is not.
    Unfortunately, info directly from Fuji tends to be no better.
    While it does happen from time to time, we try not to confuse "We can't get this and don't know when we will," from "The manufacturer or our supplier says this is history." The problem is every so often a buyer or web programmer inadvertently selects the wrong code and every so often after we've been told an item's been discontinued it gets undiscontinued. That's beyond our control.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by henryp View Post
    While it does happen from time to time, we try not to confuse "We can't get this and don't know when we will," from "The manufacturer or our supplier says this is history." The problem is every so often a buyer or web programmer inadvertently selects the wrong code and every so often after we've been told an item's been discontinued it gets undiscontinued. That's beyond our control.
    I get the impression that both Fuji and Kodak have been more than a little bit incoherent to the distribution channel the past few years. I know nothing about Kodak internally, but I do know a few folks internal to Fuji North America. They used to be friendly and share information; now that's changed. Things apparently aren't desperate, but they certainly aren't good on the inside. And I don't know anyone well enough to just outright ask what's happening.

So my guess has been that the layoffs and the plant closings in the NA site are indicative of the same things going on in Kodak, and the results aren't always something that seems sensible from the outside perspective.

The things we don't know are numbers like licensing, overhead or depreciation figures that move what "should" or "could" be a profitable product into an unprofitable column, and then it gets whacked. Fuji is very closed mouthed about specifics for things like that to outsiders like me.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin