Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,862   Online: 1110

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post
    ... But, I have to say that from what I've read. the price is not going down unless gold does. Someone, somewhere, decided that the price of gold isn't too high; the price of silver is too low, and needs to be linked to gold so that they rise and fall together. ...
    Screw this. Let the survivalists hoard gold, ammo and food. I'm gonna hoard musket balls and silver-halide film!

There. That'll show 'em. All ya'll out there envy me when the end comes!
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    Actually I would invest in rare earth minerals, they are required for all electronic devices made today and China has a hammer lock on supply and they have been difficult in terms of supplying other countries.

As for property investment, until the boomers all shuffle off this mortal coil, I'll be loathe to invest in land.
    I also have been interested in industrial precious metals, mostly because of the battery industry. But we'll have to see where fuel price go. If oil tops $100, there will be much more interest in battery technology again. Then platinum etc. should follow suit.

As for real estate, well the situation varies a lot from place to place, of course. But where I sit right now, land looks like a screaming bargain. N.b. I wrote land, not mcmansions.

Silver... I am skeptical. I agree with what others have said; invest in film while you can. May not be a bad time to buy some Pt/Pd materials too, they may soon be priced beyond all reason.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    More bad news:
    http://www.vancouversun.com/Miners+c...359/story.html

I guess it wouldn't be bad if you were selling silver......
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 03-25-2011 at 03:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    According to thisarticle on Silver recovery from the USGS (2000), film has around 5-8 grams of silver per sq. meter (the paper notes that precise formulations are not revealed by film companies).
    Thank you for the information! I started reading the thread and the biggest question I had was how much silver are in film. IIRC Delta and TMax use less silver than traditional film.
    Three years ago I was buying 10 rolls packs of Ilford HP5+, FP4+ and Pan F+ for somethink like 16-17 pounds per pack, VAT included.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bowzart View Post
    . . . Back in the 1970's I could buy a box of 100 sheets of SW Agfa Brovira for about $12. When the Hunt bros. cornered the silver market, that same box went up to about $30, if I recall correctly. That was a lot of money in those days. When the Feds forced the Hunts to divest, through anti-trust action, the price of Ag returned to normal (about $5-$6/Troy Oz. at the time), the price of that box of paper dropped to about $22. I have boxes with stickers on them to prove this, should the need arise. Well, actually, the later ones are DW, but I think you probably get the point. . . .
    The rapacious Hunt brothers forced the price of silver very briefly up to $50 an ounce. Photographers and many investers suffered greatly because of this. With the increasing cost of silver and the decreasing demand for silver based photo products, we can expect little relief if the price of silver drops. However, for most of us, the cost of film is a small fraction of the total cost of photography as a business or hobby.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    About the time the Hunt's started in on the silver market, I had just fallen in love with Unicolor Exhibition B&W paper (Mitsubishi?) and gotten a Yashica FR, entirely dependent on a PX-28 silver oxide battery. Not fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    China controls the supply of several Minerals that used in vital industrial processes that they intend to control the export of in the future many of them unlike silver are not mined anywhere else in the World.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by C A Sugg View Post
    About the time the Hunt's started in on the silver market, I had just fallen in love with Unicolor Exhibition B&W paper (Mitsubishi?) and gotten a Yashica FR, entirely dependent on a PX-28 silver oxide battery. Not fun.
    You can use a PX 28L Lithium battery, and they last a lot longer.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I remember about thirty odd years ago The Bunker/ Hunt Brothers cornered the market for
    silver, and the price of photographic materials doubling over night, I wonder what the connection is with this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Bunker_Hunt ( look at Silver Thursday), and what the relationship is with the current Hunt brothers, if you read through the article the Hunt brothers were eventually charged by the US Government with conspiracy, and they eventually filed for bankruptcy.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 04-10-2011 at 03:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin