Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,539   Online: 1046

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    Globe and Mail reports a new high for silver again today ;(
    Man my freezer must be valuable.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I know that it is still widely used in electronics and currency and of course jewelry. ..... I thought industrial use of silver was in sharp decline. Something like a third of all mined silver used to go to the photography sector.
    This articel today

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ontent=1998024

or http://bit.ly/hLooZj
    has some background.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My understanding is that they don't even have a treasury and central bank structure and so the renminbi's value is still set by some sort of group of old guys sitting around a card table.
    I think these guys might be surprised to hear that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't know. These analysts' predictions tend to rely a bit too much on rational behavior: "if this happens, then investors should do this or that." But there may well be some irrational behavior and/or currency speculation at the root of this. If you believe that the there will be another round of quantitative easing and the dollar is going to hell and the US debt limit will be held hostage to petty politics and the US sovereign debt rating will fall and the FY 12 budget will be gridlocked from one continuing resolution to the next, well then precious metals are about to get a lot more precious. But that kind of thinking also packs a lot of innocent lambs into a very small corral...

These are curious times.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you believe that the there will be another round of quantitative easing and the dollar is going to hell and the US debt limit will be held hostage to petty politics and the US sovereign debt rating will fall and the FY 12 budget will be gridlocked from one continuing resolution to the next, well then precious metals are about to get a lot more precious. But that kind of thinking also packs a lot of innocent lambs into a very small corral...
    Yes, but there some wolves out there willing to fleece those lambs. I for one would not bet on another round of QE. The US debt rating is irrelevant. I mean, we're supposed to believe the folks who said junk mortgage bonds were AAA and are now saying Treasuries might not be? They've cut Japan's debt rating several times and Japan's debt position is way worse than ours and yet Japan can still borrow very cheaply. In the short, term, sure, it'll be a political football, but a US default will never actually happen; the Fed won't let it happen, no matter what.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I take the view that a sluggish US economy / recovery is responsible for rampaging overseas currencies, at least — most obvious with the Australian dollar now heading for $1.10 after blind-siding the US greenback. The Australian dollar appears as a "safe haven" in currencies, but so too, is demand in, and investment for, precious metals. Our high dollar rate is here to stay for as long as the US economy stutters.

Commodities speculators are driving precious metal price volatilities. Speculators are behind the sky-high $/oz of gold and silver. It's not that silver, oil, gold etc is more difficult to mine than it once was, just that with Libya up the creek, oil is no longer the "flavour of the month" for plea-bargaining, and the bigwigs who mine it know the public will buy less of it at astronomical prices (not quite that level at the moment due to our strong currency).

Not sure of the relevance of the US debt (but surely there must be a limit to it somewhere, rather than constantly raising the ladder rungs a trillion at a time??), just it's slow pace of recovery. If it balloons along snappily, the scales will be tipped, but probably, by many forward thinkers, not for a year or two.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    Sorry for the typo was intending approx 40% but was multitasking and didn't pay attention to the keys. The "0" didn't get pressed hard enough before I hit reply.
    Maybe that's the same reason why gas and silver are the prices they are
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Not sure of the relevance of the US debt
    US debt problems could set off a cascade of events. In an extreme default, the Treasury would be forced to print money, which would of course spike inflation. And many important commodities and equities are effectively valued in dollars, meaning that they tend to move in opposite directions e.g. oil.... or stocks. If you see your currency inflating rapidly then the first thing you do is run out and buy something that will retain value, right, but you also want to be able to dump that quickly back into cash once the situation stabilizes. So you don't buy a house; you buy stocks. So we could see a really big pop in commodities futures and stocks. Arguably we are already seeing that. It is of course highly speculative buying.

Anyway just a digression.

Silver... like I said, lambs to the slaughter. The big drop the other day was just a little warning of things to come. But there could be a really big bubble still to come. The scary thing is that this is how investors are acting when we are still at basically zero core inflation and with the quantitative easing program put on ice. How will they act when a healthy dose of real inflation comes back...
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Speculation is behind a lot of it.

China has been buying up commodities to keep up their stock piles. Copper is also up.

The EU now requires that most electronic things use Lead Free Solder, pure tin can grow "wiskers" and act up so most solder now has some silver in it. With one world market, this applies to many electronic items which will never see the EU.

Would not be surprised if Ipads now use more silver then film ever did.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin