Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,065   Posts: 1,611,684   Online: 798

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Am I missing it? I don't see any color chems either of those stores for film or paper.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Colour chemicals when I was at Don's was non-existent - as in, besides the material we used in our store, we had a single customer who ran a C-41 machine in his garage and came in 2-3 times a year for supplies (he was a former lab tech who was given the Fuji machine when his lab shut down); most of the time we just sold him some of our material, since he had a similar machine to us and we were the only supplier for Southern Saskatchewan. Other than him, we didn't have a single person ask for colour chemistry in the 17 months I worked there, including the SIAST/university students of the now defunct photography program. I remember joking with one of our buyers about an E-6 kit which I found sitting in the sun; it had been passed around the warehouses for 2-3 years trying to sell but nobody wanted it (of course, it sitting in the sun had nothing to do with that).

Don's can get you any chemistry you want but you would need to order it by name (supply number is even better) and assume it will take a while to reach you; Don's gets daily deliveries from Canon/Nikon, weekly from Pentax, monthly from Ilford and quarterly from Kodak. If the warehouse in Winnipeg has some sitting there, you will get it quickly but if it is unique, it is not uncommon to wait 2-3 months for delivery.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Try Photo Central on Notre Dame. If they don't have what you need, they can likely get it. Their web site: http://www.darkroomcentral.ca/index.htm
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak RA4 chemistry is in stock at Photo Central in Winnipeg. Also under the Paper-Colour button on the darkroomcentral.ca website
    Last edited by Bob-D659; 01-04-2011 at 11:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I lived in Manitoba (not Winnipeg -- about 2 hours north) I did my shopping at Photo Central in Winnipeg -- the guys there are great. They have a decent (though far from exhaustive) selection of darkroom chemicals and paper. However, if there is something you are interested in ordering, they're very good about it.

However, no matter where I've lived in the world (several towns and cities in Canada, France, Japan) I usually do most of my shopping online from Freestyle Photographic. And with the Canadian dollar almost at par with the US dollar, it's a pretty good deal -- even with shipping and customs included. There are just some things in Canada that are hard to find, or extremely expensive, even in big cities like Vancouver and Toronto.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another satisfied customer of Darkroom Central.

I also order from Freestyle (if they don't have it no one does) but there are two issues: one is their expensive shipping and handling charges, and the other is the inordinate amount of time it takes to clear customs in Canada. That may be less if you use a courier instead of the US Postal Service, but I'm not willing to take a chance on being charged an exhorbitant amount to have some paper walked through customs.
    Last edited by johnnywalker; 01-05-2011 at 12:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Crazy website, RA4 chems under the color paper section but no color paper!

I still don't see any C41 development kits either, just E6 and B&W.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ground shipping from Cali takes forever unfortunately and most of the color stuff is ground ship only other than the powder C41 kit.

B&H ships Purolator Ground out of New York which is much faster! I ordered Sunday, it was put together in the warehouse on Monday, went the truck Tuesday and is in Guelph today (Wednesday). You prepay the HST and duty so it flies through customs; I don't know why UPS doesn't have this option but its more than twice as expensive and not much faster anyways. You need an account with B&H for this option however.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I don't keep Kodak colour chemistry in stock, but just checked the distributor website. They seem to have everything listed, which means I can order it.

Send me an email if you like with a list of items and I'll get the pricing for you. skeoch@sympatico.ca

-Rob from Bigcameraworkshops.com
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Rob! Do you have lists of what is on offer? I'm interested in C41 and RA4 kits but if I ask you for stuff listed at Freestyle it might not match up. Email sent.

Happiness is...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin