Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,384   Online: 753

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think that the major factor in this discontinuance was the relative weakness in the grain area compared to Provia 400X. Almost everyone that I know that shoots high-speed slide film shoots 400X, and even I will admit that the grain is finer, even with the higher speed. That being said, I'll probably pick up a roll or two of E200, even though I almost exclusively shoot low-speed slide films for my color work.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Including me lately since my local labs started sending it away. Might have to try home E6 before it goes away entirely. Used to shoot several rolls a day!

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Easy answer. Nobody buys the stuff.

Jim B.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak failed when they foolishly destroyed their smaller, older coating machines with larger, newer machines, right as the imaging market was undergoing the transition to a digital-inclusive one. Sure, having newer machines is a smart plan, but going bigger? And doing so without a more aggressive promotion scheme for so doing?* This all but assures that few coating runs will ever be successful enough to repeat within freshness cycles.

Way to go, Eastman "Post-Film" Kodak™

* obvious exceptions: Ektar 100 and TXP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler
    Perhaps it should instead be amended to say:

"Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has bitten off your hand. Panic not over what you cannot have undone."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    And I'm not surprised at all to hear that.

I suspect the new Kodak's aim is to end up with one B&W film, one color negative film, and one (maybe) transparency film. And that's it. At least for now.
    Well, I have to agree on this. And why the hell they don't publish these things on their web page? Oh, and what is condition with Fuji now? Do they have much more products, or are they also following Kodak footsteps?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonov View Post
    Well, I have to agree on this. And why the hell they don't publish these things on their web page? Oh, and what is condition with Fuji now? Do they have much more products, or are they also following Kodak footsteps?
    Nobody yet has confirmed it with the Kodak US.

It stinks when films get discontinued. However, there's still obviously some E200 in the retail pipeline. I suspect it's Kodak's procedure to not 'discontinue' a film until they reach an appropriately small amount of stock.

And if Kodak really wanted only one color negative film and one B&W film, why would they have 5 traditional B&W products and multiple new color negative products?

If you don't like Kodak, that's fine, but man do I get tired of all the griping about Kodak not wanting to be in the film market. I'd wager that Kodak would love nothing more for film to return to it's former glory. Wanting that to happen is different from reality though.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is/was a fairly rare film in the UK. I don't think I've ever actually seen it for sale. With this film being cut and with the recent cut of all the Sensia films, I think Provia 400X is the only fast slide film left.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In war, you stop wondering why your comrades are dying once you've seen it a dozen times, I think I'm going to start doing the same with film and just accept it.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    First I think we need to force people to watch slide shows, maybe they will see how bad photos on a computer look.

Thoughts on Kodak pairing down to one of each type of film.

If Kodak pairs down to just one type of each film that is not going to be a good thing for us at all because it will leave us with something like the following lineup from Kodak.

400TX for B&W ( could be wrong, but they are pushing this stuff hard)
    Ultra Max 800 for Color Negative
    Some sort of Motion picture film for Slides

It is a lousy lineup but here is my reasoning, 400TX is everywhere, they even sell the stuff at my local CVS. Ultra Max 800 is what they stuff into all those disposable cameras, and they sell a lot of those things. Motion picture film is what they make the most of in reversal film, or any film for that mater, I don't really think that using Movie film will kill me, but I can process E-6 at home, I'm unwilling to try to remove rimjet at home. Maybe if they can make E-6 then add rimjet to it for motion picture use we will be alright for a while. I would rather have the scraps form the motion picture industry than nothing at all.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe that most of their motion picture film is negative, process ECN-II. Most movies are shot on negative and printed again onto negative film. There are exceptions, particularly in the consumer formats for home projection, 64T for instance which is E6.

Personally, I think that consolidating their line into the motion picture stuff would be awesome. That way they're not spread as thin and we have a great selection. The motion picture people have just as much variety as we do, if not more.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin