Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,517   Online: 854

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    This is/was a fairly rare film in the UK. I don't think I've ever actually seen it for sale. With this film being cut and with the recent cut of all the Sensia films, I think Provia 400X is the only fast slide film left.
    Is the Rollei CR200 film still being coated (by someone), or is it just old Agfa stock being sold under the Rollei label? I found I liked it better at 160 than 200, and in the end I decided it was too grainy for my taste, but it is a relatively fast E-6 film with a very different character from Provia 400X.

(Actually, I should look at it in 120, where the grain wouldn't be such an issue...)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it might be an Agfa aerial film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe it is a Japan only thing..Lets hope not in USA too!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another ones bites the dust. We haven't got long, folks! We'd best enjoy the hell out of it while it lasts.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just placed a LARGE order that should last me for a couple of years. I figure it will be fine in the freezer and I can process it myself if need be. Even if this post is not true and Kodak has not stopped making it my large order may be part of the reason they coat a new batch. Everyone else here who actually uses this film should do the same. If you have never used it, try a high speed Fuji slide film. No reason to try out something you may not be able to get next year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How large is LARGE?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A LARGE is a 32 oz cup.
    How many rolls do you think will fit in one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    8?

But we all now that today's large is bigger than yesteryear's large; now it's more like an Extra Large. I go to Burger Thing, McInnards or Fardee's and I order a medium and I swear to dog if I don't need to supersize my cupholder!!

*cricket sounds* *cricket sounds*

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    This statement is the exact opposite of what Mr. Antonio Perez, the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Kodak, has been repeatedly telling Kodak's investors, journalists, customers, and anyone else who will listen, for over five years now.

In his own words, Mr. Perez states he was recruited and tasked by Kodak's Board of Directors to remake Kodak into a completely new digital technology company, not to return Kodak's film business to its former glory.

It is a source of unending astonishment to me that people here continue to ignore Mr. Perez's direct statements regarding where he - at the request and direction of Kodak's Board - is taking Kodak. And what the current and future implications for Kodak's analog products will be as he approaches that final destination.

Kodak's systematic and continuing reduction of their analog photography lines of business is way, way past the point of simplistic application to individual products of the law of supply and demand. Kodak has much bigger fish to fry at this point in their corporate reinvention. At best, supply and demand helps only to decide which traditional product is next on the chopping block.

While there have been a (very) few instances of new Kodak film products or product reformulations, the overall trend has been one of continuous product line consolidation. This trend is in keeping with Mr. Perez's larger mandate. This trend will continue. New products will be realized only insofar as they serve the ultimate goal.

And yet, in spite of Mr. Perez's best efforts (for years now!) to tell us exactly what is going on at Kodak (a public company, so he is legally obligated to speak truthfully), we still see posts here lamenting,

"Gee, I can't for the life of me figure out what Kodak is thinking. But I know that if everyone just keeps using enough Kodak film, Kodak will keep making it forever."

Or worse,

"This is all our fault. We didn't buy enough..."

At this late date in the process and given Kodak's repeatedly stated goal of a complete digital makeover (if we would only listen to them), the term "enough" is for all practical purposes undefined and meaningless.

<sigh...>

Ken
    Ken,

You've completely mis-understood what the poster was trying to say.

Up until the advent of digital photography, Kodak realized much better profit margins on the sale of film than any digital photo equipment manufacturer realizes today.

So, yes, they would love nothing better to wave a magic wand and make it 1986 again because their shareholders would love them for it.

Worry less about what Mr. Perez's PR blather and worry more about the ever-escalating price of silver and the latest announcement by China to curb rare earth exports. Those are our real problems...
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    And I'm not surprised at all to hear that.

I suspect the new Kodak's aim is to end up with one B&W film, one color negative film, and one (maybe) transparency film. And that's it. At least for now.

No need for all of the previous beautiful palettes and flavors of a full line of Kodak film products. Just a single, basic "raw" capture medium for each type. Just like a digital sensor, really. Then everyone will be expected to take that raw negative or (maybe) positive capture medium and scan it and fix it up later in post-production using Photoshop.

Eventually they will do away with even this, recommending instead that users simply invoke the software emulation features built into their Easyshare cameras to simulate the various extinct film types.

Far fetched?

Well, they're already recommending precisely that to all of the ex-Kodachrome users here.

Ken
    Except you are missing the obvious...

There won't be an EasyShare line of cameras in a few years.

Kodak has already subcontracted away the design & manufacture of these cameras to an outfit in China full well knowing what everybody has long figured out - that Smart Phones are decimating the poin & shoot camera market at a rapid clip.

If Kodak dumps film entirely it will simply be do to the fact that it is no longer profitable to manufacture at large volumes.

Cinematic film sales were essential to Kodak staying in this for keeps - and the rise of 3-D has pretty much ended that hope.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin