Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,638   Online: 809

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Ektachrome E200, Elitechrome ED200 will be gone

The discontinuance notice of the Elitechrome 200 (ED200) appeared recently on Kodak's Japanese website, and rumors started to circulate this week saying that the pro-version, E200 will be gone, too. So I e-mailed Kodak Japan to ask about these films status, and had a very sad reply today.

前略、いつもコダック製品をご愛用いただき誠にありがとうございます。
    さて早速ですがお問い合わせをいただいた件についてご連絡申し上げます。

エリートクローム200フィルムは米国での生産終了に伴い、日本でも在庫限りで終了となるものでございます 。
    また、プロ用のエクタクロームプロE200フィルムもエリートクロームと同様に在庫限りで終了 となります。

ご不便をおかけしますがなにとぞご了承賜りますようお願い申し上げます。

It says the Elitechrome 200 will be discontinued as its production in the US has ended. The case is the same with the pro-version, Ektachrome 200, too.

very sad......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where did you see the discontinuance notice?

Not listed as discontinued here:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe....13.20.7&lc=en

Or here:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...=13319/2300263

And still listed here:
    http://wwwjp.kodak.com/JP/ja/profess...alIndex.shtml\

I don't see anything about this in the press center either:
    http://wwwjp.kodak.com/JP/ja/corp/news/index.shtml

However, the 検索 (search) button returns no hits for anything I put in it.

I used to shoot a ton of E200 but I pretty much stopped shooting slides last year since no one ever wants to watch my slide shows anymore :-(
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    The discontinuance notice of the Elitechrome 200 can be seen only on the product information page of Japanese Kodak HP at the moment.

It's here:
    http://wwwjp.kodak.com/JP/ja/consume...al/index.shtml

"※在庫ごくわずか。なくなり次第、販売終了となります。" means "We have small amount of stocks. (This film) will not be available once the current stock runs out"

I first thought they were just going to cease selling it in Japan, and would continue to sell it in other countries as I couldn't find that kind of notice other than Japanese site.

And then, a roumor about the discontinuance of another film, the E200 (Ektachrome 200) started circulating this week. However, I coudn't find a single source about E200's discontinuance except those rumors on some Japanese discussion forums or personal blogs. So, I e-mailed Kodak directly asking about their status as E200 would be the only alternertive for me once ED200 is gone, and I received that reply, which included the expressions "as production of this film in the US has been ceased" and "which is the same with our Ektachrome 200".

Why they don't release any official statement about these films? I don't know...., maybe they still have plenty amount of stocks which will last for a year or so in the US....
    Last edited by LunoLuno; 01-14-2011 at 04:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    oh man, i hope EBX isn't next...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sorry to hear that.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And I'm not surprised at all to hear that.

I suspect the new Kodak's aim is to end up with one B&W film, one color negative film, and one (maybe) transparency film. And that's it. At least for now.

No need for all of the previous beautiful palettes and flavors of a full line of Kodak film products. Just a single, basic "raw" capture medium for each type. Just like a digital sensor, really. Then everyone will be expected to take that raw negative or (maybe) positive capture medium and scan it and fix it up later in post-production using Photoshop.

Eventually they will do away with even this, recommending instead that users simply invoke the software emulation features built into their Easyshare cameras to simulate the various extinct film types.

Far fetched?

Well, they're already recommending precisely that to all of the ex-Kodachrome users here.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    35mm
    Not surprised at all, but not for the reason Ken stated. When E200 in 120 was killed, it seemed pretty clear that its days were numbered in 35mm. A relatively slow selling slide film which is killed in one format won't last long in other formats. I will miss it though, E200 has a interesting palette, and the speed helps for shooting things like airshows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tell you, it's like I'm losing one family member after another... Kodak, why???
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    I tell you, it's like I'm losing one family member after another... Kodak, why???
    Easy answer. Nobody buys the stuff.

Jim B.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I suspect the new Kodak's aim is to end up with one B&W film, one color negative film, and one (maybe) transparency film. And that's it. At least for now.
    Somehow I doubt it. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Kodak got out of E6 all together eventually.

It's probably more due to the fact that they were slow sellers. E6 in general seems to have gotten hit the hardest by digital, and the faster ones are the first to go. From my observations, most shooters who shoot E6 films prefer to do so for the fine grain, sharpness, and colors. An extra stop or two of speed isn't probably worth it in shooter's minds if you have to compromise on any of those three characteristics.

And if you shoot slide and really need the speed, I'd probably pick Provia 400X. And I shoot almost all Kodak films...

E200 looks like a cool film (I have some but haven't shot it yet). But I would think films like Velvia and E100G have a much stronger foothold in the E6 community. It's a shame that the market can't support a film like this, but nowadays, it's probably a niche emulsion in a niche class of film (slide) in a niche kind of capture (film) in photography.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin