Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,941   Online: 797

Shooter
    Multi Format

Wal-Mart and Lithium Batteries

My local Wal-mart no longer carries lithium batteries. They state that this is because the lithium component can be extracted and used as a catalyst to synthesize Methamphetamine. Well, I went to the national site and guess what? Lithium batteries were listed as not being available in stores, although one could presumably order them on-line.

Fat chance I'm going to order from them on-line and pay shipping. Some on-line sales will even now require sales tax in some states, too.

Don't businesses take into account the legitimate needs and costs of honest users? I'm really tired of businesses costing me extra money just because they want to look politically correct. Maybe Wal-Mart should pick up the cost of the shipping and give an extra discount for having to wait for delivery.

Maybe I should simply order somewhere else; it might be cheaper, too.
    Geo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Which batteries in particular? If you're looking for 123A batteries, there are scores of internet sellers for around $1 apiece or so.

Not that it will make a difference in this case, but a huge pile of letters to the CEO from photographers might go a long way towards corporate realizing that they have a responsibility to those legitimate users as well. Though I imagine corporate greed will still rule out.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would certainly stop shopping at Walmart. As far as your batteries perhaps you could try someone like Freestyle or Micro tools and order some other supplies at the same time to make the shipping costs worthwhile.

I just ordered silver oxide batteries from Micro tools which one there one would not have been cost effective, but I also needed some camera repair supplies so it was for the total order it was well worth the cost of shipping. They have a wide variety of lithium batteries in stock with good pricing btw.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Walmart would certainly not be my go-to place for hard to find batteries, lithium or otherwise.
    For common ones, there are multitudes of sources both brick and morter and on-line.

Not that I'd consider buying anything from Walmart anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder how much Meth can be synthesized from a Chevy Volt battery.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    often shipping costs are not more expensive than lots of driving around. I buy tons of stuff online. If you need a battery on short notice, radio shack has a real good selection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can bet your bottom dollar that Walmart drop them because of the probable looming regulatory expense. Not from any misguided moral magnanimity. The margin on a $20 package of antihistamines is worthwhile to collect a signature. Not so with a battery.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just order them online since they are significantly cheaper than in the store.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wonder how many Wal-Mart customers are Meth users??? LOTS if peopleofwalmart.com is any indication.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin