Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,588   Online: 768

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Right now it is the Freestyle house brand SKU is discontinued and no more.

But it could be like rot that progresses through the wood in the house.

I'll be upset it it disappears in 120. In fact, I kept asking Marv about A. Permium in 120. No luck.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    What I wrote is not about Plus-X being discontinued. It is about Arista Premium 100. That was most clear in my OP, but I deleted the words "Plus-X emulsion" just in case anyone takes it as you have said one might.
    Yes, it was clear. As far as it went.

But since Arista Premium 100 is Plus-X, and since Freestyle only just recently began offering it as a premium house brand - to great fanfare, if one reads their catalogs - it's not a stretch to wonder why that deal might be so suddenly terminated. And by which party.

Again, I sincerely hope it's simply a Freestyle SKU choice here. That would be (I think?) the best outcome.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I will hazard a guess that it is Freestyle's decision.

I talked at length to them some time ago about 120. They didn't feel it could move fast enough to satisfy their minimum order requirement.

If they ran the numbers, and the projection didn't make the minimum, then any responsible business wouldn't reorder.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was about two years ago that they introduced it, wasn't it? Seems about a normal run for an Arista rebadged film.

Maybe it wasn't selling like the 400 was. Maybe Kodak ran out of extra stock of Plus-X, and it is no longer worth their while to sell it to Freestyle so cheaply.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks guys. Make me spend more money. So I checked the old threads, and realized my memory was wrong, it was determined that LegacyPro was Acros. And Freestyle has cans on a "short date" special for $24. So away goes my money, and soon I will have enough Acros to last me quite a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My guess is that Kodak raised the price of large bulk rolls to the point that it was uneconomical for Freestyle to continue repackaging.

My other guess is that Kodak saw Plus-X sales drop significantly in relationship to Arista Premium (More so than Tri-X-->Arista), so they decided to sop selling it at a deep discount to Freestyle.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Freestyle had it marked down as a short date sale. If they just placed a minimum order and could not sell it all before it outdated I can see why there will be no more.

Just a few weeks ago you could get a 36 exp roll of the 100 for $1.59 dated 02-2011.
    Last edited by brianmquinn; 01-22-2011 at 02:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    sorry to hear it will be gone ..

i always found it strange that K allowed freeS to rebadge their film ..
    and when i tried to get a master roll so another company could
    cut it and box the film "custom sizes" K refused ...

i guess it was because the film was already made and ready to spool,
    instead of just a giant roll of it ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My guess was that Kodak made a bunch of extra 35mm rolls to somehow avoid the waste of materials on a single occasion, but they knew they could not sell that much Plus-X themselves. A little profit is better than a lot of waste due to a misjudgment. I also thought that the excess material might have come from the MP side of things, and that it was simply perforated for still cameras and sold to Freestyle. Kodak's suggested retail prices for 35mm Plus-X movie film are nearly identical to Freestyle's prices for the Arista Premium 100.

I must say that the new Tri-X is pretty amazing in its lack of grain. I can see why moving Plus-X would be more difficult because of it.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ..my goodness, fgs.

..the fun is not over. ..just make due.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin