Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,913   Posts: 1,584,698   Online: 673

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The fun is over!

...or the half-price fun, at any rate.

I just talked with Marv from Freestyle today. Apparently Arista Premium 100 has been discontinued, and they are limited to available stock, which is mostly 24-exp. rolls (and bulk rolls, I assume, though I forgot to ask).

He said the 400 has not yet been discontinued.

On a positive note, Legacy Pro 100 (Across 100 emulsion) is on sale for about the same price that Premium 100 was going for: $1.99 per roll of 36 exp., and $1.89 per roll of 24 exp. (At this pricing, I fail to see why anybody would buy the 24-exp. rolls.)
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-21-2011 at 07:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're looking for film at half the price, do bulk loading. With quality cassettes, it's every bit as good as factory rolled film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not generally interested in bulk loading, for various reasons, but thanks for the suggestion.

Now that I look at how much Plus-X costs now, the Arista was actually 33 percent the price of the Kodak. Bulk-rolled Kodak Plus-X in the yellow box ends up costing about $3.50 per 36-exp. roll, plus time. The Arista cost about 60 percent of this in factory-rolled cassettes, with no time required. So, whichever way you dice it, it is a big hit to the pocket book for 35mm Plus-X lovers.

If you like rolling your own Plus-X, I would stock up on the last of the Premium 100 in bulk rolls, which will take the cost per 36-exp. down to $1.50 per roll plus time. It may be worth loading my own for that deal, since the 36-exp. rolls are gone.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't like long rolls anymore, the shorter the better.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Just curious; if it is indeed Plus X, why call it "100"? Just because the number is even or because they possibly wanted it to be less obvious as being PX?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like bulk loading, but finding 100 foot rolls of exactly what I want can be tough. And with all the different emulsions I like, I'd need to keep about 5 different bulk loaders on the shelf.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yeknom02 View Post
    I like bulk loading, but finding 100 foot rolls of exactly what I want can be tough. And with all the different emulsions I like, I'd need to keep about 5 different bulk loaders on the shelf.
    With bulk loaders going for a couple of bucks on ebay, what's the problem with that strategy :-)

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yeknom02 View Post
    I like bulk loading, but finding 100 foot rolls of exactly what I want can be tough.
    It seems like the majority of Ilford and Kodak b&w are still offered in long rolls, though no Fuji stuff is (glad I got a couple of cans of Acros when the yen was 120!). I don't know of ANY color still offered that way. Any color rolls being offered for sale now must be old stock. I wonder if we could get Kodak to offer Ektar in 100-foot rolls....

Also, I was under the impression that LegacyPro was not Acros, but Neopan SS.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Apparently Arista Premium 100 (Plus-X emulsion) has been discontinued
    Here we go again...

Same old questions: Discontinued by Freestyle? Or the SKU discontinued by Kodak, but the film still actively manufactured? Or manufacturing discontinued entirely by Kodak?

A short while back I speculated in another thread about noticing that Plus-X had been relegated to also-ran status on Kodak's product information web pages, and what that might mean. I got hammered for it.

Even so, out of consideration for those who still have reasons to stick with it, I HOPE the third option above is not the case...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Here we go again...

Same old questions: Discontinued by Freestyle? Or the SKU discontinued by Kodak, but the film still actively manufactured? Or manufacturing discontinued entirely by Kodak?

A short while back I speculated in another thread about noticing that Plus-X had been relegated to also-ran status on Kodak's product information web pages, and what that might mean. I got hammered for it.

Even so, out of consideration for those who still have reasons to stick with it, I HOPE the third option above is not the case...

Ken
    What I wrote is not about Plus-X being discontinued. It is about Arista Premium 100. That was most clear in my OP, but I deleted the reference to "Plus-X emulsion" just in case anyone takes it as you have said one might.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-21-2011 at 07:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin