Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,245   Online: 1061

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161721 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fabrizio;

Kodak had smaller machines, but as I posted earlier, they were dismantled several years ago. They don't have the money to build new small machines. So, they are stuck with an earlier decision to produce high volume, high quality film and now they cannot easily back up to low volume.

And, as volume goes down, and maintaining Kodak's quality, then the price goes up. Many here already complain about their prices and will use other films instead.

That is the problem.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Whatever Kodak does, however it does it...what's abundantly clear is they are in dire need of help in public relations. They are woefully ham-fisted in how they are representing themselves not only to the photographic community but the public at large.
    I agree completely about the head-slapping, baffling situation of not advertising their film offerings (which quality-wise are the best in existence) -- regardless of how niche the market is, you have to spend a dollar to make ten.

But the larger issue is appearing callous, remote, uncaring...compare and contrast the Ilford situation re: PR with Kodak. The former just announced a big price hike, but was communicative and forthcoming...the latter is deafening silence and not much else.

Bizarre.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    ...Ferrania produces colour film...
    Does Ferrania still manufacture film?

I believe the US manufacturing plant has closed. Perhaps the plant in Italy is still operating. However, I read somewhere that the film making operation was not profitable as was basically being propped up by the Italian government for prestige and/or political reasons.

Perhaps more interesting is China. Some Kodak film was manufactured in China a few years ago. Do those machines still exist?

A final note or two about coating machines. It is my understanding that when Agfa went belly up a few years ago the coating machines were destroyed, which is probably an indication of the value of high volume coating machines on the secondary market. What happened to the machines that Forte used when they quit the film business?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Coating machines are indeed more valuable as scrap than the products they produce, but many of them have survived the scrap heap. China makes some B&W films, but Kodak no longer has any film production there. AFAIK, the Chinese do not produce any color films.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found a website that lists color film as a product of Lucky in China. I don't know much about it.

http://www.luckyfilm.com/html/produc.../cf/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alanrockwood View Post
    I found a website that lists color film as a product of Lucky in China. I don't know much about it.

I use Lucky (BW) and I like the emulsion. It does suffer from a bad base, as in ringlets of curl in 35. The 120 base is only slightly better. The 120 paper has poor taping and frequently ends up with a roll of used film with nothing left to hold it togeather. All that said, it's a fun cheap film to play with.

The colour is only available in 35mm. Because I know they make the SHD, they have the physical means to make 120. They don't, so I assume they probably don't make it themselves. I could be easily wrong. It could be that they use what ever factory Kodak left behind, and they might have only made 35mm there.

The BW emulsion does not resemble anything I have seen fron Kodak. I think it is safe to asume there is no formula sharing going on here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alanrockwood View Post

Kodak supplied materials and coating expertise to produce color films in the 90s using formulas from an earlier period. IDK how much of the film was made there and how much was made in the US and shipped to China. That ended. From that point, Lucky or whatever company three, could make their own. IDK how much they make or what quality it has from personal experience, but reports here say that the color film is grainier and less sharp than other similar films on the market.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    PE: I dont know if you would have any knowledge or experience in it but how much of Kodaks film business has been motion picture stocks vs stills stocks? Either historically or currently?

Shooter
    Multi Format

A Kodak Assisted Outcome??

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Kodak supplied materials and coating expertise to produce color films in the 90s using formulas from an earlier period... reports here say that the color film is grainier and less sharp than other similar films on the market.

PE
    duh!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JayGannon View Post
    PE: I dont know if you would have any knowledge or experience in it but how much of Kodaks film business has been motion picture stocks vs stills stocks? Either historically or currently?
    I remember reading at one point that 90% of all film coated by Kodak was Eastman Color Print film, the film used for release prints to theaters. That's not even including the camera original and intermediate films.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin