Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,171   Posts: 1,658,569   Online: 981

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516171822 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by André E.C. View Post
    Only PE can defend or victimize Kodak, lol, hey, they got what they wanted, drop out of the film market smoothly and if possible victims of something...
    Perez got what he deserved and wished for years, Kodak is a victim of Kodak policy, nothing else.
    The only ones needed are the ones commited to film, those who aren't, goodbye and good luck.

Support Ilford!
    Ilford don't make Tri-X or various colour products.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    I remember reading at one point that 90% of all film coated by Kodak was Eastman Color Print film, the film used for release prints to theaters. That's not even including the camera original and intermediate films.
    Yeah I would have thought the figures were something like that.
    Thanks. I can see the volumes of release print sales plummeting for sure, but I would say the other markets are relatively stable.

Speaking about motion picture stocks here btw not stills stocks. In my experience the volume of people shooting on 35mm and 16mm stocks hasn't changed a huge amount but apart from some people like the Cohen brothers once its shot its then scanned to DPX and is cut and released digitally.

But I think the motion picture print stocks may be the key to keeping a small volume spin off alive, because the demand for them is very much still there.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    People think of a coating machine in terms of a kitchen implement. Ron explained the size complexity and startup procedure for Kodak's equipment..you can't make a yard of Kodak quality film or a sheet of kodak quality paper.
    I guarantee that everybody at Kodak wants to make as many analog products as possible. The first generation of young adults who grew up on digital photography will be having their own kids who'll never know analog photography existed......film will just be forgotten. If nobody wants to buy the product it doesn't matter what Kodak wants to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    All of you armchair economists have forgotten taxes which are higher in NYS than just about anywhere in the US, and here in Monroe county they are just about higher than anywhere in NYS. So, Kodak bears a HUGE burden in taxes and in fact, this was the reason that they were literally forced to demolish buildings that could have been renovated and rented out as office, lab or manufacturing space. It was less expensive to turn those buildings into grassy areas.

As for the earlier comment about one sheet being as easy to coat as a mile, this is a very poor argument. The methods used to coat single sheets increase labor costs and defects. In fact, as you go from 1 mile to 1/2 mile, the costs are the same using the same equipment, but the idle time increases burden as the plant and machine must be kept tempered even when idle. So there are two ends to this train of scaling, the low end which is impossible on a production scale and the high end which is near impossible as you scale it back due to hidden costs.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
    I meant that the mistakes in your glossary (= word list, dictionary etc.)
    (published on Emulsion 101 under your name)
    were rather obvious.

Is it possible they are simply cut and pasted from your book draft?
    If so, maybe they are cut and paste errors.
    Ray;

I have no idea what this is about. That post is on another web site entirely. I suggest you continue this over there.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Johnson View Post
    Fotokemika in Croatia (Efke, Adox) has smaller machines that are said to be economic at lower levels of production.
    Alan;

Many products require more than one layer. Color film requires up to 14 layers. The machines at Efke for example, only apply one or at most two layers in one pass and therefore would require 7 passes to 14 passes through a machine for one color film. In addition, they coat at about 100 ft / min. To get a real feeling for this, their production of color would be at about 1/7th that rate for a 2 station coater and with a huge defect rate due to the method of coating and the constant rewinds. The film would therefore be very very expensive to produce in sufficient quantity.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by André E.C. View Post
    Only PE can defend or victimize Kodak, lol, hey, they got what they wanted, drop out of the film market smoothly and if possible victims of something...
    Perez got what he deserved and wished for years, Kodak is a victim of Kodak policy, nothing else.
    The only ones needed are the ones commited to film, those who aren't, goodbye and good luck.

Support Ilford!
    Anyone can criticize Kodak. Even I do that! But, I have to remind you that I have had a peek behind the Silver Curtain so to speak and know a bit more about what is going on there than the average individual posting here. Thats all.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    I will truly be bummed when TriX is gone
    Along with other Kodak film.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Alan;

Many products require more than one layer...To get a real feeling for this... production of color would be at about 1/7th that rate for a 2 station coater and with a huge defect rate due to the method of coating and the constant rewinds. The film would therefore be very very expensive to produce in sufficient quantity.

PE
    Maybe they could learn to roll and unroll with fewer defects... ?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    May be Kodachrome discontinued because of repair of machinery cost ? I dont know they were new machines or old . In magazine world , National Geographic was the major kodachrome user and I read at their blog that they switched to soy bean based inks not because of cost but they are easier to manage on old machines. With a less precise calibrations , these inks were successful to produce good results.
    May be Kodak will produce film at the beginning of need of major parts change or renovation.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    maybe they should concentrate on 1 thing instead of spreading themselves so thin ..
    other analog manufacturers are doing that, and seem to be doing OK ...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin