Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,988   Posts: 1,524,053   Online: 970

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I wonder does that inculde motion picture stock production?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A prominent local wall street analyst is retained by the local NBC feed. I took this from his statements and from the comments made by Perez as run on the local evening news. The analyst is often interviewed locally. I'm sorry, but I cannot remember his name.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm going down with the ship.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    unfortunately this isn't surprising news
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Time to stock up on T-Max and Tri-X.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I will truly be bummed when TriX is gone

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wonder how much of this has to do with film sales, and how much of it has to do with the skyrocketing cost of manufacturing? Oil and energy are at all time highs. Silver, although a very small percentage of which is used in filmmaking, is also at a record high. Oil and energy costs are driving up materials costs across the board as a result of higher cost to manufacture and delivery.

Here is an example. I am in manufacturing sales, and due to the copper market, one of our core products has gone up 12% in just ONE MONTH! It is up 30% total from this time last year.

Granted the copper market does not affect film production as much as it does other industries, but it does go to show how the cost of doing business in a manufacturing environment has risen considerably. In a slim profit margin business a 5-10% increase in materials can spell disaster for profits if those costs cannot be readily passed on to the consumer. Of course, that does not always work either as it can drive down sales decreasing the economy of scale necessary to mass produce complex items like film.

Illford has an advantage over Kodak. They are a relative latecomer to the game. Their goal has always been to remain small and cater to a niche market. They designed their product and process around that philosophy from the beginning. Kodak, on the other hand, is the 800 lb gorilla that not so long ago was selling film to everyone from Ansel Adams to grandma Edna. The rug was quickly, and violently, yanked from beneath them. In many ways they are still spinning around trying to figure out their place in this brave new world.

It's a mess...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteZ8 View Post
    Illford has an advantage over Kodak. They are a relative latecomer to the game. Their goal has always been to remain small and cater to a niche market. They designed their product and process around that philosophy from the beginning. Kodak, on the other hand, is the 800 lb gorilla that not so long ago was selling film to everyone from Ansel Adams to grandma Edna. The rug was quickly, and violently, yanked from beneath them. In many ways they are still spinning around trying to figure out their place in this brave new world.
    Ilford has actually been around longer than Eastman/Kodak TMK, and was also one of the main players in the photo materials industry. If you are speaking of the newer Harman version of Ilford, then I would agree.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    harman and eastman started coating plates at about the same time 1879
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What rotten news! I suppose the best thing to do is enjoy it while it lasts....

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin