Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,822   Online: 1112

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Nah, the government will sell it to the Chinese after they take it over.
    Not to worry, Kodak is not too big to fail. There will be no bailout and certainly no takeover.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe instead of Kodak getting out of the film business Perez should get out of Kodak's business. Didn't he come from HP? Another bastion of poorly run pitifulness.

I am not worried about black and white film which will be around for a long long time to come. Color film, especially large format color film, is a different story. That I fear could be the first casualty of the digital "devolution." I sure love to look at images shot in 8x10 color. If I could afford it, I would do it myself.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    These threads are so f!~%@#ing depressing. Oh well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Whatever is affecting Kodak, whether it be economy or silver prices, it will affect Ilford! Think about that for a bit before you go off. The difference is that Ilford does not have to give details!

This is neither bad nor good, and does not change what was posted earlier this week. It is just an update.

PE
    One very big difference is that Ilford is much smaller and has been restructured to work in a world where film is a boutique item. If Kodak was able to spin off the film division, perhaps not all of it but enough to make products for the market that will continue to exist, there would be hope. As it stands, I have no idea if this would be possible. Unfortunately, Kodak seems to be fine with a world in which no film exists, whereas others are less enthused at that prospect. If Kodak really cared about their analog materials they would have figured something out before now, rather than let the film business die while it funds what does not look like a very successful transition into digital. Kinda reeks of what happened to Polaroid, actually. Now if some scammer would buy Kodak as a part of his pyramid scheme, the story would be complete. http://www.startribune.com/business/36404444.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But the current Kodak and the current Ilford are not really comparable.
    True, but 2004 Ilford and current Kodak are comparable. In 2004, Ilford Ltd, then a subsidiary of Doughty Hanson, experienced a substantial decline in sales in an already small market. This was enough to put them into recievership. Jobs were cut, and the plant was on its way to closure. That was when management bought out the company, forming Harman Ltd. Looking at the way things are going, a PE firm might be the best way for Kodak film to go.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Man I hope Kodak or Son of Kodak figures out a way. I love their B&W film, but if I'm really honest with myself, Ilford's offerings are close enough to Plus-X, Tri-X, and probably TMZ to satisfy me. TMY-2 might be a hard one to replace fully - that really is a great film. But Portra - there's no replacement. Every time I scan a good Portra 800 shot, I'm amaze at how good that film is. Same with the 400s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well I am having an epiphany of sorts. I'm imagining right now what it was like for the American Indians to sit back and watch "progress" occur. Y'know, those digital cameras these days, they take perfect photographs. Every one of them is perfect. Nice fake colors that don't exist in nature. Why, they are just spitshine perfect for Stepfordville. Heck, hardly nobody hires a photographer these days for events. Why hire someone when there's a fist full of Nikonophiles and Canonicalphiles in the audience with cameras that take more photographs than you can imagine possible by a mere human being. Somewhere in the 1000's of digital files, there's gotta be that one photo that's a keeper so who needs a photographer for the wedding? Death of a thousand paper cuts. After they raise the price to cover the new higher costs, it might harm film sales and create a cancer that eats the host alive.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What we have today is the \"Son of Ilford\" rather than the contemporary of Eastman Kodak.
    You are saying that in contrast Kodak still is the same company it was when George Eastman ruled the roost?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi!
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi!
    Ou est le Roi nouveau?

Steve.

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin