Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,603   Online: 1112

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well keep spreading the word. I'm afraid in these economic times we have to double or triple our efforts to keep this revival on track...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by alanrockwood View Post
    The problem isn't one quarter of operating loss. It is the long term trend, i.e. 98% drop in sales with no end in sight that is the real problem
    Until the recent quarter the film division, however reduced in size, was always profitable and, in fact, helped Kodak in its transition toward other technologies.

I agree with you that the ultimate problem is when, and where, will the bottom be reached. If the "bottom" is reached at a scale that allows profitable production of colour films, either Kodak will go on producing it or they will sell the business to somebody who will make a profit out of it.

If the bottom is below "sustainability" then colour photographers are in trouble because Fujifilm is substantially going to remain a monopolist. They will get all the market that Kodak left on the table, so they will survive, I think, but monopolies are never good for an industry.

My point is that the current economic climate gives us a false reading of the long-term state of film consumption. Photography is, for most users, a discretionary spending and it is going to suffer in these days. One must wait for the crisis to be over to understand which place film has in the industry. I hope, and think, that Kodak can wait better days before evaluating whether going on, or not, with film production.

I would not be surprised if some digital camera producers posted a loss in recent quarters, but I'm sure that they would not be basing on the recent quarters their forecasts about the future of digital photography.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good points.
    Things go up and down. A quarter is a too short period.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just a thought, but I wonder if its to do with the new Portra 400 being introduced and Kodachrome finishing. I know that I resisted buying up anymore 400NC over the past couple of months, waiting for the new film to appear in 2011. Also, people frantically shooting existing backlogs of Kodachrome last year as opposed to buying new film? Hopefully the excitement around Portra 400 will lead to a resurgence this quarter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodachrome apparently accounted for a very small percentage of total still film sales.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When you think about it one way, Kodak has done an amazing job in keeping their film division profitable for so long. What other business can you image that could sustain a 98% drop in sales and still remain profitable, or at least nearly profitable?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alan has made some very salient points here!

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Yes, in manufacturing.
    Understandable then =)

(Sorry for Off Topic)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think it's almost time to buy another freezer..

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin