Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,603   Online: 830

Page 1 of 31 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rochester news about Kodak

Today, for the first time, Kodak announced that film sales had fallen into the red. This was a featured segment on the local news along with a speech by Perez at the stockholders meeting in NYC about the bright hope in other areas.

A local analyst stated that this indicates that the end is probably near unless the economy turns around. He speculated that someone would step in and keep the equipment, buildings and people intact and continue some level of production.

Not doom and gloom, just reality. The prediction is for EK to make it or break it in 2012.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I needed to hear this kind of news like I need a case of cholera.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Film is now a niche product and Kodak has to ramp down production and facilities to operate at niche levels economically. That is a hard challenge. Strangely it's much easier to grow than it is to shrink.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not a Kodak-basher, have said nice things before about them, and have a very large order of Kodak 120/4x5 film in shipment, but I don't see any reason to continue and go down with the ship- Ilford will get my business from now on. Perez won't be happy until it's gone- so be it.

Sad state of affairs, but time to move on and support a firm which has focus on the business. I feel sorry for the dedicated workers who will, of course (unlike Perez), pay the price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE,

What does your crystal ball say about the feasibility or possibility of a smaller film operation at Kodak surviving similar to Ilford?

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave;

It is possible if they do it right. They can outsource film support manufacture and subbing operations to someone like ICI. Other things can be done so that Kodak does not hold on to every aspect and thus they can reduce costs. IDK for sure. I just hope for the best.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak really seems to be a tale of two companies at the moment. I've been ecstatic and optimistic given the outstanding quality of Ektar and the new Portra. But all the bad financial news and subsequent shift of the rhetoric away from film frighten me.

It's not like there's anywhere else I can turn to get my HC-110.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it has been mentioned that Kodak is working on new film products.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I just hope I can continue to buy TMY in many formats. The rest of the Kodak line can more or less be substituted, IMO.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    A local analyst? I can be a local analyst too. And whose prediction was this make it or break it thing?

Page 1 of 31 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin