Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,221   Online: 671

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agfa APX100

3e8

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Agfa APX100

I just saw that Silverprint in the UK is carrying fresh stock of APX 100. Anyone have any leads on getting some in the US? I've looked around, but Silverprint was the only fresh stock I could find.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So this appears to be the new release?

Let's hope so!
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 3e8 View Post
    I just saw that Silverprint in the UK is carrying fresh stock of APX 100. Anyone have any leads on getting some in the US? I've looked around, but Silverprint was the only fresh stock I could find.
    It cannot be strictly fresh stock. APX manufacturing was shut down several years ago now, the film will have come from frozen stock. Adox is due to release ADOX PAN PROFESSIONAL 100 at some point, which will be a recreation as much as is possible of the APX technology films.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's probably a part from the last Agfa production batch from 2005. It was kept frozen in deep rock caves for years so it's basically like fresh film. You can buy the same stuff from Macodirekt.de by the name Rollei Retro 100. Everyone says the remaining APX 100 stock is drying but they have been selling it for 3-4 years in big numbers and it's still around.

3e8

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mablo View Post
    It's probably a part from the last Agfa production batch from 2005. It was kept frozen in deep rock caves for years so it's basically like fresh film.
    The info on the silverprint site suggests that it is a new production run of APX 100, with APX 400 "in development." They also suggest that 120 versions of both 100 and 400 are in development.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 3e8 View Post
    The info on the silverprint site suggests that it is a new production run of APX 100, with APX 400 "in development." They also suggest that 120 versions of both 100 and 400 are in development.
    Wow, if 120 really happens, and if it really is the same or substantially similar film, it will be incredible news.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mablo View Post
    It's probably a part from the last Agfa production batch from 2005. It was kept frozen in deep rock caves for years so it's basically like fresh film. You can buy the same stuff from Macodirekt.de by the name Rollei Retro 100. Everyone says the remaining APX 100 stock is drying but they have been selling it for 3-4 years in big numbers and it's still around.
    I think you're right. AgX pointed out to me that the 400 speed is the one ADOX plans to release first, and this isn't it. So this probably is the old stock.

But still, if they cut it in 120 I'd buy some. It's the 35mm base support, but that's what the Rollei Retro from a few years ago was, 35mm base cut to 120 width. I liked it fine, and Mirko did comment that the old stock has to get out of the pipeline before they can make a profit on new stuff.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    It is simply amazing how the same rubbish boils up on the internet again and again.

There has been no production of APX100 since 2005, and there won't be any in the near future. Fotoimpex/Adox still have a hard time in their project to re-establish APX400 production which might possibly lead to a marketable product in the next months. Even if Adox AP400 will be successfull, I would definitively not expect them to start the next project (AP100) before 2012. There is still a lot of old APX100 in stock.
    There will be no more 120 from the old stocks because the master rolls already had been cut into 35mm pancakes completely years ago.
    So I would not hold my breath awaiting Apx100/120.

Georg

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Is it possible that Silverprint is being slightly misleading (I know, this never happens in retail!) and that they have some old APX that's being taken out of the freezer, and that what they are referring to as "in development" is actually the forthcoming Adox product? I presume the fact that it won't be made by Agfa, come in Agfa packaging, or likely even be called APX wouldn't keep them from trying to make you think that's what they've got.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    From the Silverprint site:

"New stock now available of APX 135-36, fresh shipments arriving from Germany; APX100 initially, APX400 is in development and may be available by late 2011, similarly the 120 formats."

No to pick on Silverprint too much, but this description is downright misleading.

It's hard not to get the impression that multiple businesses are trying to suggest that they have 'the definite, long-awaited APX100 successor' in house- never said explicitly with so many words, but always readable between the lines.

Truth is, there is only one true heir to APX100: Adox Pan 100. And that one won't be out until Mirko announces it (an announcement that will require no reading between the lines, for sure).

I don't understand that 'these businesses' can't or won't see how their type of marketing will eventually backfire on them. Consumers involved in the small niche of b&w analogue are generally sufficiently well-informed to see through the marketing babble. (In other words: we are not stupid )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin