Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,716   Online: 777

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess it's time to move on then and support a pro-film film company...I'll use my last 9 and try to get some more. I was just curious since I hadn't heard any news of it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtngael View Post
    I guess it's time to move on then and support a pro-film film company...I'll use my last 9 and try to get some more. I was just curious since I hadn't heard any news of it!
    I think it's a wise move,

3 years ago I spent two days trying to buy Tmax films in Santiago, Chile, and then a few hours the next week in Lima, Peru, I turned down the Ilford films, and was surprised how much Foma was available, but I'd not tried it. Those are Capital cities I went to the pro suppliers and rang many others. Kodak had left the market except for the consumer C41 shops/labs.

It's the same here in Turkey, Kodak have left all but the bottom end of thye market.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It seems to me, if the major online retailers of film say a product is "discontinued", and you see this from several key vendors in various parts of the USA, and this from vendors that generally carry all the available Kodak films, then it should be a pretty good indication that one of two things is possible. 1. Kodak is out, and has not made more (even if they aren't officially discontinuing it yet), or 2. Kodak has decided to discontinue, but still has some stock left in at least one size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys;

If Kodak has a tech sheet with Discontinued at the top, then you can be sure that that film is gone. However, I remind you that we got just about a 2 year notice from Kodak about kodachrome. At the present time, Kodak has not had a dividend for 1099 purposes since 2008 which is pretty bad for the investors. They are running around trying to figure out which direction to go regarding film production and the cost of Silver which is about $30 US / oz.

I have to assume at this point that PX is still around at dealers, as they list it as in stock. I have to assume that they can still get it as Kodak does not explicitly list it as discontinued. Now, that might mean only that Kodak has 1 or more master rolls of the stuff in storage or it may mean that it is on a regular production schedule.

I can walk into local stores and buy Kodak B&W and color films, Ilford films and papers and Kodak and Ilford process chemistry. I just picked up some fine C41 chemistry at a local shop.

So, while Kodak is down, it is not out. And, remember that these marketing vagaries affect Fuji and Ilford as well. Lets hope for the best.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The original post in that thread along with several other threads fit a pattern that we've seen before associated with underground marketing. As a matter of policy, we want to discourage underground marketing on APUG, because we've seen how it has destroyed the character of other forums, so it does not matter if there is worthwhile information in a thread that appears to be part of an underground marketing campaign. Underground marketing simply will not be tolerated on APUG.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    The original post in that thread along with several other threads fit a pattern that we've seen before associated with underground marketing. As a matter of policy, we want to discourage underground marketing on APUG, because we've seen how it has destroyed the character of other forums, so it does not matter if there is worthwhile information in a thread that appears to be part of an underground marketing campaign. Underground marketing simply will not be tolerated on APUG.
    David, does this mean that the news posted in that thread about Plus-X's discontinuance in 120 was false, and an attempt to peel people away from Kodak and get them using Ilford? Is Plus-X truly gone in 120, or not?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Are you saying Kodak's behind this ?

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    At the present time, Kodak has not had a dividend for 1099 purposes since 2008 which is pretty bad for the investors.
    Sadly true...

"...after incurring restructuring charges for more than a decade, missing financial targets and trading at a low share price, investors' patience has worn thin. [Kodak] last made an annual profit in 2007.

" 'Kodak's transition to digital is the never-ending story,' said Gregg Abella, co-principal of Investment Partners Group, which owns more than 200,000 shares. 'I'm blown away that there hasn't been a shareholder revolt.' "

Analysis: Investors tired of waiting for Kodak to develop by Liana B. Baker, Reuters, February 17, 2011.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So this thread is also "underground marketing"?

Will this thread be treated in the same way?

just curious.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David, perhaps this is not the correct thread but I think that it might be good for all of us to know what it is that you are talking about. I know that everyone is busy, but perhaps a quick explanation in a thread in an administrative forum so that when this happens, folks can find out why and what it was that was going on. While I found the thread to be contentious at times, and it had lots of that ever popular doom and gloom going in, I didn't see any sort of marketing. I do believe you that the marketing was there, but I imagine others had the same experience.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin