Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,206   Online: 935

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As best I can verify things, PX was discontinued in certain markets due to poor sales. We may never know.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    They have also eliminated the two styles of 400 Portra and introduced a compromised single style.
    The way you word this makes the new Portra sound inferior. I'd have to say it's better than 400NC any way you look at it. Big fans of 400VC might be sad, but users of 400NC I think will be very happy with this film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "How much was that cup of Starbucks your sipping on?"

Actually I use film for health reasons. I do not drink coffee but do like beer. Everytime I am at the bar and am tempted to get just one more I say no. I’m going to save those dollars for film. I then throw a few more dollars in the film fund jar. That way I save my liver and film in one action.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just shot and developed a roll of Verichrome Pan (precursor to Pan-X) that expired in May of 1966 and it came out well so if that is anything to go by, a May 2012 expiring roll of Pan-X should still be usable in 40 years or so!
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    I just shot and developed a roll of Verichrome Pan (precursor to Pan-X) that expired in May of 1966 and it came out well so if that is anything to go by, a May 2012 expiring roll of Pan-X should still be usable in 40 years or so!
    I think it is a little strange to say that Verichrome Pan was a precursor to Pan-X (which is Panatomic-X). My Photo-Lab-Index from 1946 lists Verichrome (the Orthochromatic version, Verichrome Pan was introduced later) as available in roll film sizes and film packs and 35mm versions of Panatomic-X, Plus-X and Super-XX. Panatomic-X and Plus-X were available years prior to Verichrome Pan.

Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Verichrome was made by Wratten & Wainright in the UK and introduced around 1907/8 it wasn't fully Panchromatic but it wasn't Orthochromatic either, George Eastman bought Wratten in 1913, partly to get Mees to head up two new Kodak Research facilities, Rochester & Harrow.

Eastman also wanted the Wrattnen - Mees & Sheppard's expertise in colour sensitisation, a consequence was Kodak continued making Verichrome, Verichrome Pan was very much later in 1956.

Plus -X was introduced along with Pan-X, Super-XX as part of a new range of films in 1938, followed by Tri-X a year later, these Kodak films were competitors to the Ilford/Selo F.P., Double-X, H.P.2 range, still around as Pan F, FP4+, HP5+.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 02-23-2011 at 05:08 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, I meant I thought Verichrome Pan was a precursor to Plus-X not Pan-X... But perhaps that is wrong too. I should really quit while I'm ahead and just stop posting, sigh.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems the supply line is drying up for 120...
    I see some at Unique but not my regular haunts.

Appears Freestyle is dryed up for the 120 size also.

Shooter
    127 Format
    What a dilemma...

It seems whenever a film is discontinued anymore everyone rushes out to stock up. I've done a bit of this myself. Now I've got a fridge/freezer full of discontinued film that will probably last me a few years. Evidently I have become that which I despise... a hoarder.

The good part is we can use our favorites for a little while longer.

The bad part is it hurts new film sales which likely leads to more discontinuations.

The worst part is we can no longer get cheap, expired, discontinued film.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post

The worst part is we can no longer get cheap, expired, discontinued film.
    Some of us learnt using ex government surplus, usually ex-military, stocks, I bought many 100ft tins FP3 and HP3 as a teenager, later Fp4 and HP4 as well.

Ian

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin