Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,540   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Plus-X discontinued...WTF?

Usually when Kodak discontinues a classic film it's all over the 'net. I went to order some 120 Plus-X and found to my chagrin that all retailers have it listed as discontinued by the manufacturer. I remember reading the discussions about the cinematic versions being D/C'ed by nothing about the still stuff. How come it was so off the radar? Kodak doesn't even have it listed on their discontinued items site and still have it listed on their films site. I was quite unhappy to find out as I only have 9 rolls left...none of which I thought to freeze! Just wondering if I somehow missed all the hubbub or if they did it sneakily...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a long thread about this.

It's the way Kodak work, a film is still available long after it's manufacture has ceased, because while they have stock it isn't discontinued.

See the Kodachrome threads it was last coated a few years, but held in cold store on master rolls before being officially discontinued and processing ceasing.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Still listed here:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...4018/f4018.pdf

The 120 and 35mm are listed here too as an example:

http://www.adorama.com/KKPXP120U.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Weird...I did google and search here to see if there was any old threads on it and came up empty except for the aforementioned reversal stock. Thanks Photo Engineer, I guessed I missed when I'd checked Adorama!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or, I could suck it up and get around to trying out FP4!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To the OP, and anyone else who has not heard, Kodak has told folks that this is only Plus-X in 120 being discontinued, not all Plus-X. They have made it clear that 35mm Plus-X is still being made. I do not know that this is true or if they are blowing smoke up our rear ends, but that is what they have been telling folks.

Ron, that is a tech data sheet. Does the fact that I can post this mean that Verichrome Pan is still being made?

I think the reality is that we do not know what the future of our favorite materials is, and we ought to just enjoy them while we have them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was a long thread here recently that suggested it was discontinued in 120 and long roll 35mm. When I just now looked for that thread, it has been expunged as being "underground marketing." At the time, the inputs from various sources seemed varied and inconsistent. I just bought 5 rolls of 120 a week or so back from B&H, but I now don't see it on their site. Adorama still lists it. Dunno, it appears maybe something is afoot, not helped by the big K having had a less then stellar year financially.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AFAIK 120 is discontinued, and we all know that sheet sizes have been for some time. 35mm is all that remains being manufactured. This means that the only Kodak b/w 120 films being produced (not sold, but produced) are Tri-X 400 (not TXP, the different ISO 320 one, but TX, the same one that is made in 35mm) and T-Max 100 and 400. All that remains for b/w sheet films are TXP and T-Max 100 and 400.

All current Kodak b/w films but TXP are still made in 35mm. I'm not sure what the status of T-Max 3200 is.

They have also eliminated the two styles of 400 Portra and introduced a compromised single style.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The thread in question got moved to the Doom and Gloom forum. I just went there to look it up and found that it is now completely deleted. The explanation says "underground marketing." Not sure why offending posts were not just deleted rather than the thread, but that is what it says.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtngael View Post
    Or, I could suck it up and get around to trying out FP4!
    Depends where you are.

Kodak films other than C41 consumer colour print films have become almost extinct in many parts of the world.

Kodak are the only manufacturer who don't offer a full range of B&W products and as a result there's no incentive for stores to carry their films, virtual all photo courses recommend FP4 & HP5 and Ilford papers, but that was the case when Kodak still made B&W papers.

Don't get me wrong I didn't use any Ilford films for 20 years I was Agfa biased with Tmax as my back up, then totally Kodak & Tmax, but when I just couldn't get Tmax films I had no option but change.

Now I'll stick with Ilford, at least they have commitment. It's not a fault of Kodak's Film Division rather the blinkered Inkjet approach of the CEO towards Global Marketing, he has Zero understanding of film users and loyalties.

Ian

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin