Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,688   Posts: 1,482,365   Online: 752

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Kodak Portra 160

I think we all knew it was coming. Sounds like it's been announced. A new 160 to replace 160NC and 160VC.

http://www.kodak.com:80/global/en/pr...l?pq-path=2986

Shooter
    Multi Format

indeed hardly a surprise

here's another article

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...ortra-160-film

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    I think we all knew it was coming. Sounds like it's been announced. A new 160 to replace 160NC and 160VC.

http://www.kodak.com:80/global/en/pr...l?pq-path=2986
    "A photograph is not created by a photographer. What he does is just to open a little window and capture it. The world then writes itself on the film. The act of the photographer is closer to reading than it is to writing. They are the readers of the world."
    Ferdinando Scianna, Magnum photographer

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Not at all surprising after the introduction of Portra 400. While it will be slightly different than the previous versions, I am sure it will be a great film.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And we have Ektar 100 as a "new" film, so what really has happened at a time window of a few years, two films (NC and VC) have been transformed a bit - NC is now finer-grained with same saturation as before and became Portra 160, but VC is now replaced with the Ektar. I like Ektar and the fact that the differences in the products are more notable. One neutral -- purposely so -- and one saturated -- purposely so -- medium-speed color neg film is great IMO. I cannot ask for more considering the situation.

Kodak seems to make sane and reasonable decisions instead of acting randomly. And they publish clearly what they do.

The fact is that the current sales of these niche products do not allow for a large selection of almost similar products. It's better to have a clear dedication to good products than just randomly kill products without thinking about the whole portfolio.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Subjectively, I've found the colour rendition and saturation of Portra 160VC more flexible compared to Ektar 100.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well it sounds good. Have to try it!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At least they're still making film we have to be thankful for small mercies, I was in my local pro dealers shop yesterday and he only has a couple of dozen rolls of Fuji Pro film in stock, he tells me he doesn't stock Kodak films at all any more because they're too expensive, and most of his customers don't shoot film anyway.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Subjectively, I've found the colour rendition and saturation of Portra 160VC more flexible compared to Ektar 100.
    I agree. I prefer Portra's colors (any of them) to Ektar for many subjects. On the other hand, my color goes through the scanning route, so I'm don't rely on traditional printing materials for my contrast and saturation. So I'm ok with 160NC or the new 160 (finer grain!).

I wonder if Portra 800 will get a grain makeover too?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It may. These new films seem to be announced when the old version has only a couple months of supply left. If there is to be a new Portra 800, it may take a while if the old stock moves slowly off shelves.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Also, it's been announced that this stuff will be available in 4x5 and 8x10, and custom sizes through Canham. That's good I guess

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin