Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,082   Online: 917

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Film is NOT dead: NEW Film PORTRA 160 Film from KODAK

I was the Worldwide Manager for PORTRA films I when they were introduced about 10 years ago so I know their capability. I retired in 2003.

The Rochester whiz kids have now introduced a new PORTRA 160 Film with even finer grain than the original PORTRA 160NC and 160VC.

If you want to see how film is made see my website:

http://www.makingKODAKfilm.com

More on the film:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...q-path=2301065

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    that's great news!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    35mm
    True.
    Doing so, Kodak "saves" one production line. One film type for 160, one for 400, cutting away the VC and NC option. Two production lines instead of four.
    L.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by luca.remotti View Post
    True.
    Doing so, Kodak "saves" one production line. One film type for 160, one for 400, cutting away the VC and NC option. Two production lines instead of four.
    L.
    I'll take two over NONE any day. Ektar and Portra 160/400 does me fine in 120.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Portra 400 has me convinced away from Fuji, it is amazing. With a new 160.. well, I may go Kodak everything :/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Reducing from 160NC and 160VC to a single PORTRA 160 helps coating a little. Because of the films' design switching from coating PORTRA 160NC to coating 160VC could be done "on the fly". At a predetermined time during coating a changes is made and instead of making 160NC it changes to making 160VC film. This is done with very little lost product.

The real savings is in finishing/packaging and stocking the film by Kodak and the dealers. With smaller volumes it is expensive for both KODAK and dealers to stock smaller runners.

As was pointed out in one posting having one film (that is improved over the old one) is far better than none.

Keep buying your favorite films and it is likely that manufacturers will continue to make the products. If there is little demand (i.e. Kodachrome) the films may vanish. Most companies would have discontinued KODACHROME many years ago. EK didn't want to discontinue the film; the bleeding just became too bad.

Bob

The grain improvement is impressive.

Ag4ever or at least for now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Still a bit odd. It would have been cheaper to simply continue to make 160NC and drop 160VC. Creating a new film, even tweaking an existing one takes some money. Good to see they're still spending some money on film R&D. Hopefully it will continue.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Bob - thanks for that tidbit about switching on the fly between NC and VC. Interesting. Loved your book by the way!

I can only hope that Portra 800 gets a makeover too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any project date when it will hit the market- I have a freezer full of 160S, but I want to stock up on the new portra stock when I get the opportunity.
    M. David Farrell, Jr.

----------------------------------------------
    ~Buying a Nikon doesn not make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner!

~Everybody has a photographic memory, but not everybody has film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Still a bit odd. It would have been cheaper to simply continue to make 160NC and drop 160VC. Creating a new film, even tweaking an existing one takes some money. Good to see they're still spending some money on film R&D. Hopefully it will continue.
    That's a sign they still have some money .

You see, the fact that they can market a new product instead of just cutting down products, will cause people to buy more of this new product, and additionally, to trust the future of the company more than if they just cut out some stuff. This will probably make more money than they have "lost" in the R&D of the new product, at least in the long run. And, it's a very good sign that they still can consider the long run.

For these reasons, and also for the simple reason that we have an even better film now, I'm don't feel gloomy at all. Quite the opposite.

And yes, Bob, your book rocks! It's a very good book to carry around and show to friends, because of the direct message the pictures give.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin