Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,785   Online: 910

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Those "crappy" P&S cameras are one of the biggest sellers for both Fuji and Kodak, so don't run them down!

PE
    Ha, OK, point taken. I didn't mean to disparage the P&S, anything that gets people shooting film and keeping it thriving is fine with me.

But if they are already the biggest sellers, then why have film sales not grown? Are the cameras being sold to people who use them once and never go back to them? Are they disposables that just end up in the back of people's drawers? Or is it saying more about Fuji and Kodak's inability to sell their other products?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    See the other threads! Motion Picture film sales are going down as are E6 film sales. On balance, and factoring in the economy, things are sliding downhill fast.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ektachrome 100 vs costs 14 dollars , plus 6 dollars development and 4 dollars scan here. And I have to mile 70 kms 3 times and invest 15 hours total at the traffic. I think in US everything is cheaper but distances are larger and life is faster and time is more limited to a person who works.
    So there is no way to rescue Kodak from here or there , I guess .

Other way , Panasonic new camera costs 40 dollars and offer couple of ten thousands picture that you can print at home. No home consumer is dumb enough to spend his her life and money to save Kodak , except me , I will always use tri x but at 8 mm format after all. When the winter spending cuts , I will buy a 8mm camera with single shot option and 4600 APUG photograps per 11 dollars. I will pyro and palladium tone the positives and fill my gallery with scans.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    threads like this are quite depressing ...
    if there is a huge push to get people to buy film and shoot film
    it will fall flat on its face because most of infrastructure
    to have film processed has been dismantled. not everyone wants
    to process film themselves. mom+pops are boarded up, and fuji+kodak
    have stopped "send out / pick up " services at most places.
    it seems the niche/boutique market is for people who process themselves
    or have the means to have a custom lab process+print their film.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Agree ,

E6 film is ultra expensive and my photolab said there are two persons per month to come and negative film got developed. His main business is weddings and printing ugly red cheeked , margarine look skinned new married digital recorded couples pictures for chinese made thick albums.
    I think no digital people goes and orders prints from their machines also. And lcd screens are excellent and hated the prints myself also. I had been bought a Sony for 70 dollars with Tessar zoom lens with 5 aspheric Zeiss lens elements !!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    When the winter spending cuts , I will buy a 8mm camera with single shot option and 4600 APUG photograps per 11 dollars. I will pyro and palladium tone the positives and fill my gallery with scans.
    I would recommend a 16mm camera over an 8mm or super 8 if you are looking to do stills, unless you are into an incredibly grainy look. 16mm is still cheaper than 35mm, and you still get a massive amount of frames per roll, but you have approximately 4x the image size.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Nick ,

I would never buy this kind of camera until there is the Leica one. I love grain , especially at Leica and I dont think that it would be unusuabally grainy cos they cast it to the big screen. I will not print anything with it but scan and put to the APUG. I did not go more than 300 meters from my home 5 times in 2 years and I have no one to photograph or show the prints except here.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    threads like this are quite depressing ...
    if there is a huge push to get people to buy film and shoot film
    it will fall flat on its face because most of infrastructure
    to have film processed has been dismantled. not everyone wants
    to process film themselves. mom+pops are boarded up, and fuji+kodak
    have stopped "send out / pick up " services at most places.
    it seems the niche/boutique market is for people who process themselves
    or have the means to have a custom lab process+print their film.
    Yes, I see this as a pretty discouraging factor. I shot a roll of 35 mm Provia around the end of December and took it to what passes for my nearest pro oriented store. They send it to another store location and apparently now hold work until they get enough to justify running the machine -- took me two and half weeks to get the film back. I've also shot some 120 color in various forms to get the thrill of seeing it, but I have to admit for most stuff where I want color, I go with "other" technology.

B&W I do here -- it's my "art" medium -- and hey, it's fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe half frame would be thrifty enough? Before going this 8mm route I would suggest picking up a home movie shot in this format and test out scanning a few frames. They are crazy small!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Develop it yourself to be thrifty! People say they don't want to but it is so easy and cheap, cents per roll for B&W (HC-110) and under $1/roll for C-41. You can see it in minutes, not weeks and it will be done properly.

Kodak makes some good film but they really need to think about what they're doing. Living off patents, some sensors in cameras, the cut throat inkjet market and business to business just isn't unique these days; you can't swing a dead cat without hitting companies doing the same thing. Portra, that's hard to compete with! Don't they realize this? No, obviously not.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin