Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,725   Posts: 1,515,030   Online: 1193

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    That's more like a self contained universe though (instant film).
    Agreed. But the point is also that with a concerted marketing effort it's possible to sell almost anything to anyone. But first one must want to sell it.

Restarting a market for instant film had to have been a far more daunting task than simply expanding a currently shrunken - but not yet extinct - conventional film market. Conventional film will never be what it was in the 60s and 70s, but neither must it continue dancing with the Grim Reaper, which is what Kodak seemingly wants us all to believe.

There is much to be hopeful for concerning film, just not Kodak film.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where is the Impossible Project nowdays, and how does their product look? Last I saw was not very good.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Where is the Impossible Project nowdays, and how does their product look? Last I saw was not very good.

PE
    Sadly still not very good. The name is a bit of a joke in itself, this picture will self destruct in... Development temps and conditions are also a bit of a joke and the quality is quite low though it suits the 'instant art' crowd. They have marketed it as art film because it is very inconsistent. Great marketing but poor engineering.

Polaroid was much better. Fuji Instant film still is much better.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last I heard they sold something like 500,000 units their first year, with a projection to sell two million units this year.

How does it look? With respect, that's not the question to ask. The question is, how does it SELL. As we all know, by original Polaroid standards it doesn't look very good at all. (See my early in-depth review of the b&w First Flush.) It is getting better - but very, very slowly.

But by using savvy marketing (damned savvy, actually) TIP has managed to turn their lemons into lemonade. In a brutal worldwide recession they are looking for a quadrupling of their unit volume for a previously totally extinct product category.* It's like a modern-day Jurassic Park story, but for a film dinosaur.

And as those of you who may be subscribers to their online "newsletters" also know, the TIP marketers leave absolutely no stone unturned in finding creative ways to bring in additional revenue. Refurbished cameras, old seriously outdated (or even defective) Polaroid film stocks, contests, gizmos, ego appeals. The list is endless...

All of this is happening because they want to sell film. If they didn't, they wouldn't bother advertising. And in this digital photography world if they didn't advertise, no one would even know their film products existed, would they?

Ken

* And as has been repeatedly noted earlier, no other film product category was closer to digital photography's bulls-eye than instant film.
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Exactly, Ken. Kodak's films are wonderful, of unbelievable quality, but if they go under that really won't help any of us. Impossible is selling enough of their odd product to finance improvements in their products, just as Kodak did many decades ago. Just as Ilford is doing today. I love Kodak films and will shoot them till they're gone but I fear that will be all too soon, and all too much due to Kodak's inability to adjust to a new market reality.
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ken;

Lets wait and see where they are next year or the year after before we say that this is a savvy move or not. The results are not all in yet. You have to admit that even with savvy ads, neither Kodak, Fuji, nor Polaroid could have sold such a product.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Up in our end of the woods, there are a fair number of places where you can download one or more digital files over the internet, and then later the same day or possibly the next day go and pick up your prints. The prints are RA-4 or the Fuji equivalent.

The other week I experimented by sending three files to a local business. Then, the next day, I picked up three 11x17 colour enlargements, printed on Kodak Supra Endura (IIRC). I paid less than $20.00 for the entire order. If I hadn't had one of the prints done on metallic paper, it would have been less than $16.00.

The files were a bit small for that size of enlargement (6.1 megapixels) but the results are quite nice.

By all accounts, that particular business is very busy. Unfortunately, they are entirely focused on the digital market (they don't even have a good resource to forward film to).

They also seem to sell a lot of digital cameras, many of them high end.

I think the reason they are apparently successful is that they emphasize having prints made.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    May be Kodak could invest in impossible project , create a better product and collect thee money.
    Who buys Polaroid now ? Old followers or young fellows ?
    I think new Polaroids are romantic , like Palladium tones. If you study the material well , it creates excellent nudes , naturmonts. Yes my 350 is hungry and its lithium battery still active after 15 years.
    I think I will invest in it for my sisters visit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lets wait and see where they are next year or the year after before we say that this is a savvy move or not.
    Ron,

At rate and direction events are currently trending, where is Kodak going to be at the end of next year, or the year after?

In the current worldwide economic environment, a case could reasonably be made that the working definition of "savvy" is "survival."

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    In the current worldwide economic environment."
    If we know that we could get rich either by buying Kodak stock or short selling Kodak stock. We only need to know whether to buy or short sell.

Hence, why are you bothering Ron with your question?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin