Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,701   Online: 796

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    How much did they charge you for shipping? I'm thinking of getting that very kit soon from Ag. And it says it's a 5L kit, presumably that means it makes 5L of something - what's the approx weight of the kit?
    The two kits together I believe weighed around 20 kg, and I did save a little bit on the shipping price by ordering two kits (every little bit helps at these prices!)

So all told the total I paid was £221.80 (they took out VAT since I'm outside the EU), and the shipping component of that price was £91.12. I believe it would have been around £70 for just one kit, so it was worth it to double up since I'll use it up over the next year (keep one in storage while using the opened kit for ~6 months).

I also recently got some larger Jobo 2551 / 2561 tanks for my CPE2+, and plan on maximizing the film I process in each run. I figure it's around $5.50 - $6 / roll if I do that, so for me, compared to the $14 - $15 I would have to pay to get each roll developed locally, it is still worth it to import the kits.

Oh, as far as the 5L goes, yes, that means that the kit will make 5L of working solution (the chemicals themselves are in concentrate form).
    Last edited by guyjr; 05-18-2011 at 12:24 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added one more note

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by guyjr View Post
    So all told the total I paid was £221.80
    That's about $350 us. $175 each. That's a high price to pay, you could buy cubes of chemistry for double that and have alot more chemistry.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How well do the cubes keep though? And how do you tap them cleanly? I got the impression they're meant to be pierced by a fitting in a minilab, which will suck chems out as required.

And where (if you're an Australian) do you buy them? Vanbar seem to cost more than buying even small quantities from Ag and they're not clear at all on what it is they're actually selling (no manufacturer's item numbers, etc) so it's hard to tell if you have everything necessary.

One guy at one of my local labs is very helpful and was offering to let me buy bulk quantities of E-6 chems through him and his wholesaler. He did warn though that the pre-bleach keeps really really poorly and they'd found that out the hard way, watching their process go bad as quantities and therefore replenishment reduced. I don't have the factory's facilities to nitrogen-pack an open bottle, though I could use butane like I do with XTOL.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad the kits arrived OK - I was watching them on the tracking pass through the customs etc. and keeping my fingers crossed, but in the end a super fast delivery.

These are great kits, but the unfortunate thing is they are quite expensive when compared with the old Kodak kit. Interestingly it is a new release by Fuji because they used to only offer a 3 bath kit:

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/fuj...-5l-1160-p.asp

but this will ultimately be phased out, replaced with the 6 bath, because it containes a chemical Fuji have a corporate policy of not using (Boron, I think) and this is only present in the 3 bath system - the Tetenal 3 bath also has it but they tell me they don't have a problem with boron.

Matt.

Shooter
    35mm
    Put me down for 3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    old thread at this point. not enough interest and fuji isn't interested in making money.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin