Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,679   Online: 1065

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Or build it in a rural, mostly low-income area. That's the reason.
    That's explains everything !

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    35mm
    It is said that Fuji is making their films in Fujinomiya plant in Shizuoka prefecture, which is located about 100km west from their Ashigara plant in Kanagawa prefecture, and the impact of the earthquake itself was subtle in Shizuoka. People here say we don't have to worry about film supply if we use only 135, but it is said that the company which make back papers for larger format got damaged on their plant and there might be some infuluence in the near future.

Luno@Kanagawa

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser View Post
    How they could put a nuclear plant in an area near such an active fault and in a tsunami zone amazes me.
    Where in Japan is not near an active fault? The only place clear of Tsunami is probably on the slope of a volcano.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Water-cooled (i.e. most) nuclear power plants have to be near a large body of water, and there really isn't anywhere in Japan that is beyond the reach of a major earthquake. I am just surprised that backup generators were located low enough that they could get flooded. Apparently the plant was designed to withstand only a 20 foot tsunami, or something like that. The wave that hit was over double that in height. Who was it who decided that a 50 foot tsunami was so improbable that the trouble and cost involved in building a better tsunami wall and placing backup generators high off the ground was not worth it? Those are the people who should be sent into the radiation field to fix the thing. Was it really worth losing the plant entirely and creating all this contamination and exposure to plant workers to be cheap and gamble with mother nature?

I also cannot believe that there was not a powerless emergency cooling system that works by convection. Having to rely on electricity for emergency cooling is a bonehead design move. It seems like this plant was disastrously under-engineered.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-18-2011 at 03:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What's it like to work in Japan's nuclear industry? Dangerous. Read on:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/wo...workers&st=cse

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I am just surprised that backup generators were located low enough that they could get flooded.
    Agree. It was clearly the greatest single design mistake. However, as it seems now, even after getting power back, the cooling systems are damaged too, probably in the tsunami, so maybe it wouldn't have helped even if the generators were on the upper grounds.

I also cannot believe that there was not a powerless emergency cooling system that works by convection.
    There was but it failed. It worked for some time before failing, but it is still a bit unclear to me whether it failed because the 8-hour battery power ran out or was it going to fail anyway.

As said, this is clearly the most complex nuclear accident ever.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F;1168829
    I also cannot believe that there was not a powerless emergency cooling system that works by convection. Having to rely on [I
    electricity[/I] for emergency cooling is a bonehead design move.
    Recall that it was built 40 years ago, and ideas about needed safety features are always being updated. My understanding is that newer plants do have a convection cooling system.

The location of the generators was probably influenced by the largest PREVIOUS such incident. This one was larger than they anticipated.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    Recall that it was built 40 years ago, and ideas about needed safety features are always being updated.
    Built 40 years ago means designed 50 years ago.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    My understanding is that newer plants do have a convection cooling system.
    As said, there was such a system there, too.

AFAIK it works only as long as water in torus is still water. After a certain amount of heat generated, it stops working, so it cannot remove all of the heat. In addition, it needs some control battery power. Newer systems may have a better convection cooling that work longer, or may not, but in any case, there was a convection cooling system present.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/wo...s.html?_r=1&hp

Interesting bit of Tsunami history
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin