Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,958   Online: 782

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Even the worst nuclear accidents in history have caused far less damage and loss of life than conventional power plant accidents have over the years.
    of course, but there are also plenty more conventional power plants then nuclear. Dut dont say that it can go horrible wrong, look at Chernobyl and how that actually effected the world.... or the Three mile incident that could have gone really really bad but more or less pure luck made it to a miner incident.

cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Couldn't agree more. I heard a disturbing comment on a news report today. It seems some manufacturing concerns are looking to move certain parts fabrication elsewhere. If that happens, I doubt it will ever move back to Japan and that would be very bad for an already troubled economy.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    My friend's kid's school, in Sherman Oaks, CA, has actually stopped having recess because of it!
    It was in the paper a couple of days ago that parts of the US have run out of potassium iodine due to people stocking up (my parents who live on the West Coast of Canada say there are signs in malls advertising who still has supplies). There is more radiation from taking a cross-country plane trip than from Japan right now! The x-ray I got last week gave me more radiation than the majority of people in Japan have experienced so far. Does this mean the situation is not critical and we should not do all we can to help? Of course not but neither does mass hysteria help.

PE, thanks for the information. While I do not normally shoot Fuji products, anything that hurts or is perceived to hurt film is not good. Once the hoarding starts, people put down the film and pick up the digital. Where this could really hurt is if Bollywood decides their film supply (mainly Fuji) is in danger and switches to digital production; that could influence Hollywood to decrease film in favor of digital movie production at a faster rate than they currently are.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bollywood, if they switch, would go to Kodak for film products. They are not set up yet for digital and the switch is expensive.

PE

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is truly shocking to observe the spiteful comments posted here. CGW and Michael R 1974: what are you trying to prove?

This thread was started honourably by PE, a very long-serving and very respected APUG member. The points he raised are salient, valid and compassionate. If some of you are going to enjoy launching thinly-veiled attacks on members you might want to reconsider your presence here. There are no "morality coaches" here (it's bloody rude of you to dream up that term). Remember APUG is not for personal attacks. Stick to the original thrust of the thread.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dispite Disasters, the show called "Life" must go on.

Some people, while good of heart, will probably show no emotion,
    others will cry.

I think that's ok.

Emotions run high... the first day I moved here, I attended a funeral...
    Someone yelled at, cursed then repeatedly hit the dead man!
    Then they had a feast and drank lots of Beer.

Wow.

People grieve differently.
    Be free of all deception, Be safe from bodily harm
    Love without exception, Be a saint in any form
    (Patti Smith)

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Bollywood, if they switch, would go to Kodak for film products. They are not set up yet for digital and the switch is expensive.

PE
    Would Kodak be able to increase production to accommodate that number of movies in a short time frame? If you are used to using product A and can no longer get A (at any cost), you have to use product X or go out of business. My point was not that all studios would switch but some might just out of necessity to keep the weekly productions going and would not switch back after making such an expensive business decision.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And on which planet did that all happen...?
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    I really can't believe this thread. You might think less about yourselves and more about donating a few $ to the Red Cross or Habitat for Humanity Japan.

(http://www.habitatjp.org/WH/hfhj_e.html).

CGW, you over did it with this comment. Time to get off the soap box. Others built the case for donating in a much better way on other threads.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandholm View Post
    ...pure luck made it to a miner incident.

cheers
    Ah, yes! Mining accidents must also be included!

Sorry, I am just joking, and I could not resist.

But Three Mile Island was definitely not prevented from being worse by "pure luck." Nor was it a minor accident.

But even thought the accident was very serious, it did not cause widespread damage. You basically need a Chernobyl to do that: Breach of the reactor vessel and explosion causing the fuel and other core material to go flying into the air. And trust me, the people operating Chernobyl that night certainly did just about everything they possibly could have to make sure that that accident happened...which is pretty much the only way to have an accident that bad.

The fact is that no form of steam plant is truly 100 percent safe. Properly designed, built, maintained, and operated nuclear plants, however, are pretty much the least bad of all the options IMHO. I'd rather have a nuclear plant in my back yard than a conventional one.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-22-2011 at 05:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin