Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,983   Online: 914

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE, Do your sources know whether there was any adverse affect to film coating operations from the Ginna NPP incident in 1982? From what I know, there was a small radioactive gas leak from a burst steam pipe. Since it is only about 20 miles from Kodak Park, I assume there was some contamination, but I would have no idea how much.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    PE ,

How Chernobyl effected the European and British film production ?

Umut

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    This intense posturing on Internet is getting quite annoying.... Seems no one can talk about product shortage or buying "just in case" without prefacing statements with their deepest concern to people of Japan or else they get attacked for being insensitive, self-servicing, and just plain evil.

The truth is, people of Japan are suffering immensely. The truth is, people in rest of the world still has to live their lives and enjoy themselves. The truth is, products shortage will likely be a reality at least for a short term for some products. Rest of the world enjoying their lives doesn't impact people in Japan. While I wish people don't buy now only to sell later at inflated prices, products are there to be purchased.

Look... I was born there and lived there until late teen years. I appreciate very much when people ask me if my family or friends are impacted. (no one I know are impacted) But there is no need for this hyper sensitivity and posturing. This endless argument isn't helping anyone and you are only creating animosity. Please stop if you are concerned about people there and care about the actual problem. If would like to act, please consider making even small donations. If your situation does not permit it, please keep them in your thoughts.

That's all I have to say. Good night.
    THANKS!

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2F;

Gee, you are right. I have posted something ambiguous. If I knew the radiation level at the Fuji plant I would publish it. But, no one knows. The plant the company and the government in Japan are being ambiguous. US and Japanese figures differ by a large figure. If you expect me to do better, sorry!

I can't do better on Kodak's part either as they don't know for sure but probably suspect a problem may arise and they may be getting prepared, IDK. That is why this is just a "warning" about Fuji products.

I've already explained that damage can take place after months of keeping and that the damage takes place at levels below himan problm arise. I have also said that it manifests iself as black speckles on the coating.

Now, what more do you want than this honest exposition of a generic warning that certain events might take place? Read my OP please.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    PE, Do your sources know whether there was any adverse affect to film coating operations from the Ginna NPP incident in 1982? From what I know, there was a small radioactive gas leak from a burst steam pipe. Since it is only about 20 miles from Kodak Park, I assume there was some contamination, but I would have no idea how much.
    There were none due to 2 factors. Wind blew much of the radioactivity south and east and KP was west of Ginna. Also, Kodak had a very complete protection plan in operation at that time.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    PE ,

How Chernobyl effected the European and British film production ?

Umut
    I have no idea. Sorry.

You would have to ask someone from Agfa, Foma or EFKE.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Regarding the events at Three Mile Island, this is probably as authoritative a source as you'll find. It's a reasonably short, non-technical overview of the events that occurred on Wednesday, March 28, 1979 at generating unit TMI-2, and their subsequent impacts. There is also a nicely stylized diagram of the plant components at the very bottom of the page:

U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission report: Backgrounder on the Three Mile Island Accident

For those reading along here who may be unfamiliar with the incident, this report should serve to get you up to speed.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 03-23-2011 at 12:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    There were none due to 2 factors. Wind blew much of the radioactivity south and east and KP was west of Ginna. Also, Kodak had a very complete protection plan in operation at that time.

PE
    I have heard Fuji also has such protection in place.
    Can you describe what Kodak's plan involved?

(besides testing, which we saw in the '58 Kodak film)

What was Kodak's plan if one morning they discovered "too much" radiation?

What are your thoughts on the usefulness of underground storage?

From your earlier comments, it seems as if rapid turnover (from manufacture to processing) would just about make it OK to use, at least for the levels already mentioned.

?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For anyone interested in what is really going on in terms of the nuclear incident, I can heartily recommend the following resources:

MEXT
    It seems MEXT (the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (http://www.mext.go.jp/english/), has now made available aggregated data of radiation levels in microSv / hour and fall out in MBq / km2 for all prefectures of Japan. The data can be found here, including for the past few days. Notice for example the marked changes to Tokyo deposits due to the forecasted change in wind direction:

http://www.mext.go.jp/english/radioa...il/1303962.htm

ZAMG
    Another very interesting and disturbing source is the modelling done by ZAMG, the Austrian weather institute. Based on their weather models and some measurements from also the West coast of the US, they have "reverse" calculated the needed emission to cause it. It is estimated at 20-50% of total Chernobyl emissions:

PDF of ZAMG here explaining it:
    http://www.zamg.ac.at/docs/aktuell/J...-22_1500_E.pdf

CNIC
    A last good resource is CNIC (the Citizens Nuclear Information Centre), a Japanese volunteer organization dedicated to informing the public about nuclear energy. They managed to gather a small group of pensioned Japanese nuclear experts for regular press conferences. Some of them are engineers that actually worked on the design of the Fukushima plant. They give insight in the weaknesses and design constraints of the original plant, and how such a nuclear plant operates in general terms.

Also, in the 16th of March video, there is a female radiological expert talking about the risks of exposure, essentially telling that there is a linear relationship between damage and cancer risk and the radiological dose received. Another important notion is that 1 mSv about corresponds to on average about 1 track of radiation going through the nucleus - where your DNA is stored and might be damaged - of each(!) cell of your body. To put natural background radiation (the one you can impossibly avoid because it is everywhere) in perspective to this, it is about 1.5 to 3 mSv per year depending on the area you live according to some articles I saw, but in some areas peaking well over 10 mSv. Our human bodies and cells, like the cells of all living creatures on our planet, are to some extent adapted to repair the possible damage.

There are other, unfortunately disheartening but honest revelations. It is not a pretty picture these engineers describe, be prepared for that. Of course, since these experts are limited by the lack of information too, just like the general public, they can not give direct insight or answers as to the level or current risks / status of the plants. They therefore describe the plants and risks in a more general way.

There are English translators present at the conferences for the following listed videos, so you can follow everything being said. Not all videos on CNIC Ustream channel have that though. Please also note that the videos are not professional productions, so sometimes it takes a few seconds or minutes for image or sound to appear, or the press conference to really start. Please be patient, despite the conferences each being close to two hours, it is definitely worth the watch.

Recommended videos with translator:

18th of March:
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13410573

16th of March:
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13359218

15th of March:
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13295291

USTREAM channel of CNIC (some not translated):

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cnic-news

CNIC website:

http://cnic.jp/english/
    Last edited by Marco B; 03-23-2011 at 04:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marco, thanks.

Ray, Kodak put in to action a complete plan including special air filters, water washes at the entry of each building, positive air pressure in each building (it was hard closing doors when you entered and you had wet feet). There was much more.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin