Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,814   Online: 861

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    how would one drop of mercury paralyze the kodak plant?

Not doubting, just ignorant in these matters and truly interested.

I assume they have no mercury thermometers inside Kodak Park?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    how would one drop of mercury paralyze the kodak plant?

Not doubting, just ignorant in these matters and truly interested.

I assume they have no mercury thermometers inside Kodak Park?
    Bruce;

Mercury is a powerful fogging agent that has a reasonable propensity to form vapor. It spreads via air as the vapor and fogs film. So, our mandate is to contain any mercury spill.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the explanation

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandholm View Post
    Also when the reactor was investigated, i think it was in 98, 50% of the core had melted, this is not a small incident, and it was pure luck that nothing went really bad.
    Sandholm,

You are the one who said it was a minor incident! That is part of what I was arguing against. Now you argue that it was not, as if that is what you have been arguing all along. What you said is:

Quote Originally Posted by sandholm View Post
    ...or the Three mile incident that could have gone really really bad but more or less pure luck made it to a miner incident.
    As for the facts regarding the details of the incident, they have not been presented incorrectly by either of us, so you should not say that the discussion "went away from facts to values/believes," as if I was stating a bunch of crap personal opinions. It is the reason that the event was not catastrophic that we disagree on. The facts in this area are that despite the operators sitting around with their thumbs up their butts for over half a day when they should have realized what was going on, the accident was eventually kept from going out of hand both by them, and by the engineering of that plant. It was a situation that could have been catastrophic if not for these things. And it would have been in a design like Chernobyl, and many other poorly designed plants. Prudent engineering and timely human intervention in a crisis simply and decidedly do not qualify as "pure luck."
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A totally legit organization for donations:

http://www.japansociety.org/earthquake

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

No comment

For anyone seeking information:

- MEXT (Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology) radioactivity readings

- CNIC
    (Citizens Nuclear Information Centre)

- Plume models (where is the stuff going?) by ZAMG (Austrian weather institute)

- MEXT and TEPCO readings of radioactivity and reactor status (pressure etc.), as time lined graphs (only in Japanese, but live Google Translate on the page does a surprising good job)

- Wikipedia about Fukushima plant

- Scientific article about decay heat from spent fuel

Even after 3 months in the spent fuel pool, 1 ton of spent fuel of a light water reactor fuel still may give something like 50kW. That is 5 MW of cooling needed for 100 ton of spent fuel...

- Summary of "criticality accidents" report by Los Alamos National Labarotory

Two sites with breaking news links:
    - http://www.breakingnews.com/filter/f...-prefecture-jp
    - http://newsblogged.com/fukushima-nuc...l-time-updates

Site with potentially useful links:
    http://www.nucleartourist.com/events/fukushima.htm

Photo's and videos below are from Japan News website:
    - TEPCO Releases Video of Fukushima Nuclear Plant Units 1,3,4 Taken by T-Hawk Drone
    - Video Released Analyzing Spent Fuel Rod Pool of Unit 4 at Fukushima Nuclear Plant
    - TEPCO Releases New Photos of Fukushima Nuclear Plant Unit 4 – Pictures
    - TEPCO Releases New Photos of Fukushima Nuclear Plant Units 1 and 3 – Pictures
    - Fukushima Spent Fuel Rod Pool Unit 3 Pictures Taken from Concrete Pumping Vehicle

Videos:

A few of the pictures:

Unit 4:

Unit 1:

Unit 3:

Unit 3 spent fuel pool (whatever is left of it):
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And interesting video of 21 march conference at the Stanford University:

The Nuclear Crisis in Japan:
    http://fsi.stanford.edu/events/the_n...isis_in_japan/

Direct link to video of conference:
    http://fsi.stanford.edu/events/recording/6615/1/555/

Video starts out with a 15 minute "economic" analysis, before heading into the more interesting technical stuff about the reactors and what happened.

PDF of one of the conference contributors presentation:
    http://iis-db.stanford.edu/evnts/661...panSeminar.pdf
    Last edited by Marco B; 04-17-2011 at 05:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

jun

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    If you are interested about radiation info for the local water in Japan, you should look into Japanese local city office / prefecture office web site.
    Also you need to understand Japanese.

I suppose Fuji is making Film in Kanagawa plant (i.e. Minami-Ashigara City)
    Here are the water radiation test results at water plant in Minami-Ashigara.

http://www.city.minamiashigara.kanag...isitukensa.pdf

Abstract Translation:
    Minami-Ashigara City has requested Yokosuka City water office to test for radiation contamination of water.
    Place: Yagurazawa water purification plant (in Minami-Asigara)
    Test Date/Time: Mar. 24 AM 7:30 Cs 134, Cs 137, I 131 All Not Detected
    Apr. 6 AM 7:50 Cs 134, Cs 137, I 131 All Not Detected

May be this will help you to understand the facts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How they could put a nuclear plant in an area near such an active fault and in a tsunami zone amazes me. Just terrible.

I bought a supply of Acros the day after the tsunami, just in case.......

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser View Post
    How they could put a nuclear plant in an area near such an active fault and in a tsunami zone amazes me. Just terrible.

I bought a supply of Acros the day after the tsunami, just in case.......
    Or build it in a rural, mostly low-income area. That's the reason.
    K.S. Klain

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin