Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,818   Posts: 1,581,645   Online: 809

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fuji and the earthquake

Friends;

I have gotten a few PMs and E-Mails asking me "what about Fuji in view of the nuclear accident and earthquake"?

I obviously cannot answer. I have no inside information. I can say this:

Ashigara, the location of the Fuji plant is South West of Tokyo. It is outside the present contamination area. OTOH, the quake itself would have probably ruined production from the time of the original quake until the end of all aftershocks unless the coating machines were built to withstand this magnitude of a quake and as reduced by the distance from the epicenter.

We can also consider that power and water may be limited for the short term, but we know nothing about the long term implications for Fuji. They may be back up and running by now for all we know.

Film is hyper sensitive to all radiation. If there is any present, they will have to introduce draconian methods at the Fuji plant in Ashigara to eliminate the problem.

Kodak had to introduce radiation protection in the 40s and 50s just due to the testing of nuclear weapons in the US and Pacific oceans. Radiation has a far reach even if it is near or below allowed limits. This equipment is still in place at Kodak Park, but has not been in operation in recent years AFAIK. If they have been maintained, and if Kodak were to see any problem, it would be just a matter of turning a few switches and the scrubbers would be reactivated.

The bottom line is this. I have been told that Fuji film and paper users should stock up on film as a "just in case" provision to tide them through to the summer months. This is just a suggestion from sources. We know nothing for sure, but we do want to help our APUG friends.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wasn't sure about this myself, so I've spent the last few days buying whatever Acros any of the stores in Montreal had left - not that they had ever been stocking much Fuji B&W film anyway - I usually had to special-order it when needed. I came away with 20 rolls of 35mm, and no other formats. Luckily it is not my primary film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Keep in mind even if the production were completely unaffected by the earthquake, tsunami or radiation...transportation and distribution are affected by all of this. Roads and ports, as well as interior transportation on the island, are slowed or blocked.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I really can't believe this thread. You might think less about yourselves and more about donating a few $ to the Red Cross or Habitat for Humanity Japan.

(http://www.habitatjp.org/WH/hfhj_e.html).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    CGW;

That is truly an insult IMHO. AAMOF, my wife and I have made a substantial donation as we did for the victims in Haiti! The other people who have posted may have as well and you don't know it. So, please keep this on a professional level and omit the attacks.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    CGW,
    I don't think that caring about people of Japan and stocking up are mutually exclusive. I've both donated and ordered film. What's wrong with this?

Shooter
    35mm
    We will soon know how bad some people think the situation is and hope that panic spreads when we see e-bay sellers hike the price with "no more Fuji for the next 2 years so buy now".

There might be difficulties for a period but if a few panic and hoard by buying their usage over the next 2 years in the next two weeks then indeed there will be problems.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Agreed... We have a Subaru plant here in Lafayette, of course we are shocked with the tragedy, but also concerned because the engines are supplied from Japan. The sooner Japan can produce goods again, the better for all concerned in each and every way. (As long as the global economic structure exists)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    I really can't believe this thread. You might think less about yourselves and more about donating a few $ to the Red Cross or Habitat for Humanity Japan.

(http://www.habitatjp.org/WH/hfhj_e.html).
    This comment is very short-sighted and has an unpleasant tinge of "upholding the moral highground". Good for you...

I've donated, FWIW.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    CGW, The earthquake/etc/etc hasn't stopped one large company in Japan from flying in staff from the US for a training session next week. A company does what it has to do to survive, for example, if Nikon ignored all it's other production facilities world wide to concentrate on the plant in Sendai they wouldn't survive three months.

PS, why are you assuming they didn't donate to someone, and if you read the projects at your link, the majority are not in Japan.

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin