Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,688   Online: 987

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kudos to Ilford

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    This is simply not true.

Kodak had its own paper factory in which it made high quality photographic paper, and they also purchased some from outside vendors just as most other manufacturers of photographic papers do.

PE
    I guess I heard wrong then. (Darned internet!!) Thanks for setting things straight. Do you happen to know, then, was it just that declining volumes just made it uneconomical to continue making paper?

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike;

I had the opportunity to speak to Antonio Perez about this personally at the time this event took place. His words were "We are hemorrhaging out of our paper business". So, with extreme losses, they had to close the B&W paper plants.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike;

I had the opportunity to speak to Antonio Perez about this personally at the time this event took place. His words were "We are hemorrhaging out of our paper business". So, with extreme losses, they had to close the B&W paper plants.

PE
    Due to Kodak being set up for manufacturing large quantities of product?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No Tom. It just was not selling. There were 4 paper plants. One of them alone used 6 machines for color. They could have scaled back, but B&W paper sales fell faster than anything else in their inventory. At least from what I know. Color is still up there selling!

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is good to hear. Providing a specialized service in a custom process with ILFORD materials, we have not seen any such 'good-will' toward services for their products. As much product as we freely advertise, we have never even gotten an acknowledgment.

Before Kodak fell apart, dr5 was a regular on Ed Warners agenda. I miss Ed.

dw

Uncoated Baryta paper continues to become more and more difficult to obtain, so recently Mark Osterman and I were faced with a need with no supplier.

I contacted Simon Galley of Ilford and he shipped me a case of 1000 sheets of 11x14 uncoated glossy Baryta paper within 2 weeks of my confirmation. And the price was just right!

As of now, all boxes have been sold or are promised to either Mark's students or mine and I am in the process of seeing if anyone will be willing to sell this on a regular basis. It is proven to be superb for Silver Gelatin or Collodion POP and has many other uses for alternative print materials.

Please do not contact Ilford. This was a one shot to see if the paper was fully satisfactory, if the need was there and if someone was willing to sell it. The first two parts of that have been proven and the last item of this is being worked out for the alternative photographers out there. You will hear of the outcome.

This note is just to say KUDOS TO ILFORD.

A side note here is that Kodak revised their loss upward by many millions of dollars due to loss of good will. Ilford can count on a big gain in good will by keeping on going as they have been.

Thank you Simon!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No Tom. It just was not selling. There were 4 paper plants. One of them alone used 6 machines for color. They could have scaled back, but B&W paper sales fell faster than anything else in their inventory. At least from what I know. Color is still up there selling!

PE
    One of the sad things I experienced in college photo courses was an anti Kodak mentality among some of the instructors, especially some of the more "artistic" ones.

I had one instructor who would not accept any work from students if Kodak products were used in its creation. The jerk actually said that to the class at the beginning of the semester. We were asked to bring in samples of our work at the second class meeting, so I brought some of my work to show to him. He really liked on of my shots until I told him it was shot on Tri-X, developed in HC-110 and printed on Polyfiber. He got mad and told me that under no circumstances was I to use Kodak film or paper for my assignments.

He actually checked peoples's contact sheets for edge markings and rejected anything that was shot on Kodak film. You had to shoot on FP4 or Agfapan-100 and develop in FG7 1+15 with water. I finally quit that class because I thought the instructor was a Bozo.

This might be an extreme example, but I know many people who were told not to bother with Kodak papers by their instructors, because Kodak papers were not as good as those offered by other manufacturers. This might have helped contribute to the decline in Kodak paper sales.

I personally liked some Kodak papers very much. I miss Polyfiber and Polymax Fine Art fiber base and Polymax RC (a very good RC paper imho).

I never really warmed up to Mutigrade, although I do use it. I would not hesitate to use my favorite Kodak papers if they were available again.
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    One of the sad things I experienced in college photo courses was an anti Kodak mentality among some of the instructors, especially some of the more "artistic" ones...

My sentiments exactly. Perhaps you could have complained to his boss about this rather unusual and definitely uncalled for behavior. You're probably right. The guy is a Bozo. And mind you, I've nothing against Ilford products; I think they're first rate and as good as and better than most. I simply prefer Kodak products for most things because that's the stuff I grew up with and been used too all my life. I do miss their papers, especially the last versions of Polymax and Polycontrast before they ceased production. Still have a little bit of single weight FB Polymax Fine Art. Lovely paper for small prints.
    Last edited by fschifano; 04-03-2011 at 04:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I too prefer Kodak to Ilford, but with black & white paper and ISO 400 black & white 4"x5" film I tend to make an exception.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin